Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:10:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

going to redo my amp

Started by sim0n, July 31, 2008, 06:32:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sim0n

I've got a Laney TF50, a ten year old 30 watt solid state thing.

recently the reverb died (one of the coils on it seems dead cause I got springy sounds if i hook it up in reverse...just no guitar) so thats a good enough excuse for me to mess with it (find another use for that knob!)

heres the schematic
http://selj.madebymonkeys.net/TF50.pdf

basically I'm going to keep the poweramp as is, just rebuild it on my own board. Only going to get rid of that headphone output section. Should be ok, right?
its a bit different from the TDA2050 datasheet circuit as its got that extra feedback loop in there... but its worked so....

and for a heatsink its just had a aluminium plate connecting it to the chassis http://selj.madebymonkeys.net/TF50inside.JPG
enough? again, its worked like that till now so I figure there shouldn't be trouble....

I'm going to leave the power supply as is mostly too, just on my own board (same transformer...going to get new capacitors). Probably going to just throw on 7815/7915 regulators for the preamp supply instead of those zener diodes, shouldn't be any problems with that either?

I'm going to get rid of the preamp entirely, which is actually pretty interesting as its made out of logic inverters but its gets all mushy when you turn the gain up. Going to probably replace it with something based around JFETs but getting the poweramp right is my first priority.

Jack1962

The TL072M OP amps in the preamp are jfets , so redesigning your preamp won't do much for ya, but if you want to , have at it. The zeners , sure loose them and replace with regulators for sure. Finally are the caps bad? If not I wouldn't change them the new caps are not made the same as the older ones, this could effect your tone.

Rock On

sim0n

Quote from: Jack1962 on July 31, 2008, 06:46:13 AM
The TL072M OP amps in the preamp are jfets , so redesigning your preamp won't do much for ya, but if you want to , have at it. The zeners , sure loose them and replace with regulators for sure. Finally are the caps bad? If not I wouldn't change them the new caps are not made the same as the older ones, this could effect your tone.

Rock On

I meant throwing the entire thing out and putting something like a Dr Boogie in there instead

the caps....its all the hot glue that they throw on them, it depends on how well I can salvage them (i'm going to make my own circuit boards for each part, and have them seperate so I can get some experimentation with preamps going)