Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:14:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Marshall Plexi 1986 Bass 50w - SS Copy

Started by Skydog75, February 04, 2014, 01:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skydog75

Hey guys. I'm absolutely new here. I would like to get into building SS amps with an eventual goal to build a SS copy of the Marshall Plexi 1986 bass 50w head that Duane Allman used back in the day.

So my question to all of you is this: is it possible to get close to or in the ballpark of the sound of the original tube circuit? Whether it is possible or not, I still want to learn how to build a good sounding SS amp.

Since I am more of a visual learner, and since I need to start from the absolute beginning, what is the best way to get started? I've read some of the stuff in the Newcomer's Forum, but I still have questions about what each component is and does. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Orson Maxwell

Hey!

We have a guy in our community who did a FET copy of JCM800. You can listen/compare here: link to samples on his website.
If it is close enough for you then the answer is yes, you can.
If you and the rest of the guys are interested, I could give some more detail - most of the works are in Russian at the moment.

As for the second part, I would suggest starting from the beginning and reading something like the Art of Electronics (studying it myself)

Anyway, I'm in the same boat as you are at the moment, though I had some substantial vacuum tube design practice.

Cheers and welcome.
If you want something done well - do it yourself.

Skydog75

Orson - thank you for the info. I looked at The Art of Electronics, but it still seems a bit over my head. I'm thinking more along the lines of Electronics for Dummies or the like. I just want to make sure I understand what each component is and does and why before I start any circuit building.

I was thinking of getting a good book on the basics then trying a simple LM386 amp like the ones on the ROG website. Then keep progressing from there. I had stumbled across the ROG website and was impressed with the sound samples, so I decided to "dig in" and try to learn this stuff. I have a friend who repairs and builds tube amps, so maybe he could help get me started as well -- although he's kind of a "tube snob."

Enzo

Here's the deal with tube snobs, they limit themselves.   Just like a food snob, "Oh I'd NEVER eat THOSE things."   Well I like prime rib as much as the next guy or a nice filet mignon.  But you know, I also enjoy a nice hamburger or a meat loaf.  And a guy who will "only cook filet mignon" is not likely to be the guy in my kitchen.

But that doesn;t mean you can;t learn from him.   Electronics is electronics, whatever the type circuit.  Troubleshooting is troubleshooting too.

J M Fahey

Agree and add: you are in the right path.
Start reading about Electronics at your own pace, and follow the path step by step:
LM386 amp > Craig Anderton´s TDA2003(LM383) guitar amp > make some good and simple preamp for it (Rodd Elliott´s project 27) > add a louder chipamp , from 30W TDA2050 to 60/100W LM3886 or TDA7294 , plus proper speakers, one or two Eminence or Jensen MOD.
You´ll end up with a LOUD high quality amplifier, fit to play in a Club or along a drummer.
Distortion/Effects?  add any multi effects or pedalboard in front of it or build some good pedal and you're done.