Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:37:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Very loud screech from a Fender Frontman 15R

Started by nitenurse, August 05, 2009, 02:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitenurse

Hi!, my Frontman 15R had been working ok until 2 days ago. On switching it on then, it immediatly started to howl extremely loudly. Even setting all the knobs to zero and unplugging the guitar made no difference at all. I'm comfortable with repairing most elecrtical items but electronics is a grey area for me. I've removed the circuit board but cannot see any obviously faulty components or dry joints. I guess the amp is "dead in the water" given that they are fairly cheap to buy. I just wondered if there was anything I could try to trace the fault as the amp is otherwise ok. Thanks.
Wayne

J M Fahey

Hi Wayne, ¿can you solder/desolder cleanly and read a schematic? Start by downloading http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fender.com%2Fsupport%2Famp_schematics%2Fpdfs%2FFrontman_15G_Schematic_68F.pdf&ei=d1x5SuOpFNa_tgfw1OWWCQ&rct=j&q=Frontman_15G_Schematic_68F.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFsY8bdTcaavnRA4c7DaIGsf5nvNw
and check whether it fits your amp.
The schematic will be the same or *very* similar, but part numbers , such as C104, R75, etc. might change in different production runs.
Good luck.
J M Fahey

nitenurse

Thanks for your help. I'll take the circuit board out again as soon as I get the chance and compare it to the schematic. My soldering skills are adequate but I'm not so sure about my schematic reading! I've worked with various electrical plans in the distant past but these electronic ones look pretty complex and some of the symbols are a mystery to me. I've got a couple of busy days coming up but I'll strip the amp again on Saturday or Sunday.
Thanks again. More anon,
Wayne.

nitenurse

Dear J M Fahey, I've stripped the amp again and checked the circuit board against the schematic as you suggested. In the main the components appear to be the same but as I've got the "R" version there are also some differences  -an extra pot for the reverb etc., and I've got Auxillary inputs instead of an external speaker jack. Any suggestions as to proceed?
Thanks and best wishes,
Wayne.