Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:40:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

RANDALL RG100ES PREAMP FROM HELL RED CHANNEL PEDAL

Started by GIMAGUITARS, March 28, 2013, 08:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GIMAGUITARS

HELLO EVERYONE! I'M LOOKING FOR A PEDAL LAYOUT OF THE RED CHANNEL FROM THE RANDALL RG100ES THAT ISN'T THE "PREAMP FROM HELL" MUNKY VERSION.  I'M OKAY WITH RUNNING IT AT THE STOCK 24 VOLTS WITHOUT MODDING IT OR DROPPING VOLTAGE.  IF SOMEONE HAS THE LAYOUT FORMATTED WITH ALL CONNECTIONS NECESSARY FOR THE BUILD WITH OR WITHOUT TRUEBYPASS AND A DC JACK IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED.  SO, CHECK YOU FILES IF YOU HAVE IT AND POST IT.  THANKS ALL. 

Roly

If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

J M Fahey

joecool85

Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

GIMAGUITARS

I'll type this in a "Less offensive case".  I prefer cap letters as it's easier on my eyes.  That being said... No, I have not contacted Randall.  Any suggestions?

J M Fahey

I've just googled "Preamp from Hell" and found the "Munky" version you refer to.
It looks fine, what's your problem with it?
The square compact layout seems to be made for a pedal rather than for, say, cloning a head.
And it works out of 24V, as you want to.
It does not show how to add a true bypass, which I think is what you are asking, but please google "pedal true bypass" and you'll find articles by RGKeen, Steve Ahola, maybe even Rodd Elliott and doubtlessly others explaining it.
Read them, draw how you think it might work and feel free to ask how to tweak it, but do your homework first.
You'll succeed  :tu:

tra

I don't understand what the 4v zeners are doing. I'd be grateful if you can explain.

stormbringer

The zeners are clipping the signal. The orientation of them is setup that way to clip both the positive and negative part of the waveform.

tra

The 1N4148 are clippers, but the 4v zeners are as well?

stormbringer

Yeah. They should clip at very much higher level than the 4148's

J M Fahey

The 4V zeners are relatively "light" clippers; the switchable regular diodes clip more, but also reduce signal level.