Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 23, 2024, 05:29:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

80's JMF Spectra 125 SS Combo Amp Screeches and Minimal Distorted Volume

Started by jbarrie88@sbcglobal.net, May 22, 2024, 05:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbarrie88@sbcglobal.net

Just joined here, total noob, and mechanical engineer, so electronics is an art that I'm just trying to begin to learn.  I've done rudimentary soldering and should be able to replace any component that is available today.  I'm at a loss now after some troubleshooting.  Looks like a lot of good minds on this forum, so here goes.

I have a 1980's JMF Spectra 125 SS Combo Amp (pre-Dean Markley) that is no longer producing clean sound and volume (on the Clean or Distortion channels).  It sat in the basement for years and years (probably corroding) up until now.  I've cleaned the pots (no crackling), replaced two corroded ceramic resistors in the power amp PCB (.33 Ohm and 33 Ohm in between the Power Amp board 3792 and 3716 RCA transistors), brushed the boards somewhat clean, and reflowed one solder joint.  The amplifier produces some lower volume, distorted, flat sound (midrange-e only) but only when I strum kind of hard.  Otherwise, the amp doesn't pick up the sound from the guitar pickups on light strumming.  Also, the volume knobs basically don't do much no matter what volume/master volume I turn. The reverb knob changes the shape of the sound slightly.  Using an extension speaker gives same sound, so it's not a blown speaker.  It also starts screeching/rumbling after 30 seconds or so of being switched on, but hard strumming overpowers the screeching while playing.  Plugging guitar into the Line In/Power Amp In also gives same result.  Also, plugging a short cable into the Line-In and Line-Out together does nothing.  I have attempted to check resistor resistances (the two ceramics were bad), capacitors, diodes, transistors with a decent Fluke multimeter, but can't see anything apparent.  Note, I did not remove all components from the board.

I don't have an oscilloscope, nor do I know how to really use one anymore, but I don't really want to have to hand it over to an electronics repair shop (repair will likely cost way more than it's worth).  Wonder if anyone has any suggestions/questions/comments?  Hope the links work.

Power Amp Board

Power Amp Schematic

Preamp Schematic

DrGonz78

Just a quick reply but perhaps study up on crossover distortion in a solid state amp. The symptoms you describe are similar. Play soft and it sounds fine. A hard attack signal will reveal the crossover distortion. It might be biased cold but that might not be what is going on. Just something to consider.
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

Tassieviking

Do you have access to another Amp?
If you do try connecting the send to the other amps return to see if the pre-amp is good, and then connect the other amps send into this amps return to see if the problem is in the power amp.
You could try the guitar into the return jack but it would be very low output, that would test the power amp by itself.
The best place to start checking might be the power rails, the +-15V and the +-37V.
Sometimes the main filter capacitors can dry out when not used for a long time.
There are no stupid questions.
There are only stupid mistakes.