Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:14:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

New member here with a big problem .

Started by bluesman1972, September 27, 2013, 12:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluesman1972

I have an old Crate G60XL guitar amp. Decided to replace the potentiometers and made to fatal error's one I didn't measure the pots before hand and two I didn't take notice of the fact the shafts are
color coated . After measuring the resistance values I realized they
are ok despite their age But probably need a good cleaning . But,
with that being said I don't know where they all go since they are
different values and color coated . I tried looking up a schematic
and it costs like 20 bucks . Does anyone know where they go ? Or
what values would go where. You can email me if you know

DrGonz78

Well yeah they Mickey Mouse colored the stems on the pots from many Crate amps. That is not a sure way to figure which one goes where on the pre-amp board. There is a G-60 schematic online but no G-60xl... So best bet is to call Loud Tech. who own Crate and Ampeg amps. All you need is your serial number and model name to give to the service/parts department. It won't cost any money at all when you call them...

http://www.crateamps.com/support/
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

bluesman1972

Ok all is well. More then well. I fell in the love with the amp again. I found another wiring schematic for a different crate amp and found the numbers of the pots that went with the ones I removed. I cleaned the ones that were acting up and reinstalled them and put the amp back together and it's like brand new. Awesome !

joecool85

Quote from: bluesman1972 on September 27, 2013, 05:16:26 PM
Ok all is well. More then well. I fell in the love with the amp again. I found another wiring schematic for a different crate amp and found the numbers of the pots that went with the ones I removed. I cleaned the ones that were acting up and reinstalled them and put the amp back together and it's like brand new. Awesome !

Great to hear!
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Roly

Great!   :dbtu:

It's amazing the difference a bit of a clean can make.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

lotsacaffeine

Where can order potentiometers for my CRATE G60XL.
Specifically I need the mid-tone one.  The schematic shows it as a 2K pot.
These have smaller than normal shaft diameters.

Thanks in advance.

Enzo

Where in the world are you?

Look on the rear of the old part, you will see a number in this format:  70-202-23.

I made that number up, so it is a coincidence if that is what is printed there.  That number is the Crate part number.  If Crate still has them, any Crate/Ampeg parts seller can get them for you.  I recently sold all my old Crate pots, while clearing my shop.

lotsacaffeine

Quote from: Enzo on April 15, 2016, 11:42:18 PM
Where in the world are you?

Look on the rear of the old part, you will see a number in this format:  70-202-23.

I made that number up, so it is a coincidence if that is what is printed there.  That number is the Crate part number.  If Crate still has them, any Crate/Ampeg parts seller can get them for you.  I recently sold all my old Crate pots, while clearing my shop.

Enzo,
I'm from just outside of Nashville, TN in a city called Murfreesboro (assuming that wasn't sarcasm).  :P  No...I don't live under a rock. :)
I've actually already emailed several CRATE contact emails and "Authorized Service Centers" looking for the replacement pot. 
No responses yet.  That's why I put the request out here.

And talk about my crappy timing...sounds like you would have been the perfect source for my parts problem.

Worse case scenario...I match it up to something from Digi-Key, Mouser, etc.

PS.  The amp was given to me by a friend.  I replaced the 4558 op-amps...and now it sounds great.

Thanks,
Bill

Enzo

No it wasn't sarcasm, you could have been in Indonesia or South Africa just as easily.  In the USA you have resources like the company direct, that I wouldn't direct someone towards if they were in Argentina.

Like most all amplifier pots, these are custom made for Crate/Ampeg.

I am assuming you have a bad or broken pot now, I may be mistaken.  Assuming that is the case, that number on the back of the pot is the key.  That is what to ask for, not by description and model.

I suggest you CALL Loud Technologies - Crate is one of their divisions.  And ask customer support there if those parts are available.  If the parts are available, you can ask if they'll sell you one direct, otherwise a Crate parts seller can order one for you