Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:55:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Where to get CHEAP guitar speakers??

Started by iTzALLgoOD, April 02, 2009, 12:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iTzALLgoOD

I'm learning about SS amps and have a TDA2030 power amp funtional and waiting for a preamp.  When it is ready a want to build a little combo amp.  I've built and given away several 386 amps. Everyone likes them but they want them to be louder. I want to be able to give my friends something a little more powerful that doesn't cost me a bunch of money.  So my question is where to get affordable but functional 6"-8" guitar speakers for little practice amps? 

armstrom

small Jensen MOD speakers can be very cheap. They are not terribly efficient but they will do the trick. The 8" can be had for around $20 from major retailers like MusiciansFriend.com. You can always try hitting up local pawn shops and buying junker amps to strip for parts. They can be useful for transofmers, knobs, chassis, cabinets and speakers. It's very likely you can pick up an entire amp for less than the cost of a single new speaker.

you can always take your chances on non-instrument speakers but you'll likely spend more money on junk that you can't use than you will save by not going with a purpose built speaker. Also take a look at Ted Webber speakers. His ceramic signature series speakers are very well regarded and the smaller ones are quite reasonably priced, more than the jensens but they are better speakers too. The ceramic 8" Webber speaker is $24.. pretty good! They will handle the output of your TDA2030 quite well.

iTzALLgoOD

I've seen the Jensens before.  I actually put a 12" MOD in the tube amp that I built.  I was just wondering if there was some where to get cheap off brand speakers.  $20 isn't to bad if I have buy new.

armstrom

You can check your local yellow pages for speaker repair shops. They usually have some speakers lying around either from customers who never paid for the job or just used stuff they pick up over the years and refurbish. Some shops deal more with PA speakers than guitar speakers but they can be used in a pinch and are likely far better than consumer grade speakers.

aldo

I depends on what you want?REAL cheap,go out garbage pickup day and ride around looking the night before"don't laugh,I have gotten a couple of nice speakers out of thrownout organs,1960's large cabinet radio sets"anico Jensen's"extension film projector sound cabs."12" speaker ussally on take off cover on projector".Flea markets,garage sales,hamfest,craigslist"under electronics and musical instruments.Local goodwills,salvation army's stores,look for all above and older speaker cabs,some of the older 1960-70's stero 3 way's 10-12" wolfers don't make a bad guitar or bass cab driver.If you want new checkout MCM electronics speakers.

aldo

I am sorry,I forgot my all time favorite way to get cheap speakers.Look for a local Ebay store in close driving distance of your house.Keep am eye out with that stores listing's.Heavy items like cabs,amps can ussally be picked up cheaply becase no one wants to spend big bucks shipping on a 30 year old cab that wieghts 65 pounds.Most stores allow local pickup,without any other cost,but some do charge an extra fee,E-mail them before you bid!!

iTzALLgoOD

Thanks for the ideas.  I'll keep a look out.