Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:06:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Randall RG100 Head ... power loss

Started by kernalflagg, June 03, 2008, 04:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J M Fahey

No, power is evenly shared, whether they are in series or parallel, so far as both have the same resistance.
If you make them dissipate 5W each, the pair will dissipate 10W.
I suggested .33 ohm resistors because they are very popular and easily available; don't know if you can find 1.32 ohm 5W ones.
In fact, a "normalized" value would be 1.20 ohms, if available.
I think they jump from 1 to 1.5 ohms or something like that.

joecool85

I guess you're right Juan.  I suppose I was thinking of how many volts would cross the little fellas, not watts.  Big difference.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

kernalflagg

Quote from: J M Fahey on May 13, 2011, 05:30:24 AM
That Randall amp needs those .27/.62 ohm resistors as shown in the schematic.
It was an old trick (also used by others such as Acoustic) to even the current sharing.
You have a length problem here.
Those 49mm long ones are way too much.
In 22 mm/5W:
1) you can use a 5W .27 ohm without a problem because it dissipates less than one half what the .62 ohm does.
Why did they use a 5W then? because buying a smaller one costs practically the same and simplifies bulk ordering (as from Ohmite)
2) substitute each .62 ohm with two .33 ohm ones in series.
Mount them this way:
In your hand, put two of them vertical.
Each of them will have an upper lead and a lower one.
Twist upper leads together, solder and clip them.
Now you have a nice vertical .66 ohm, 10W resistor.
Open it slightly into an inverted "V" shape and insert free legs into the PCB.
Done.

Sounds like a plan. But for the 0.60 ohm 7 watt power resistors, what about just getting vertical mount power resistors that are in stock and available in either 0.47 or 0.68 ohm and both are 7 watts like the schematic calls for? Are these too far from the specs in either direction?

such as these:
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/XC-600039.pdf

J M Fahey

*Electrically* they are the same; *mechanically* not, because these have 5mm leg separation; you said yours are 22mm, *big* difference.
You can't mount them in the available PCB.
My idea of mounting two smaller ones in an inverted "V" shape, is that you can separate the legs any distance you want.
I see they follow a normalized series of values, fine.
For .27 ohm use .22 ohm; for .62 ohm use .68 ohm, if available, or 2  .33 ohm in series as suggested.
If you want to be even more certain, search and post here a similar resistor page showing horizontal 7W ones in 22 mm , if available, or in 5W , still in 22mm.