Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:08:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

TDA2050 power amp problems

Started by Fossilshark, May 14, 2016, 08:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exztinct01

Yes, those chipamps do run very hot and needs heatsink even without load.  :)
Or you'll fry it in seconds
~ Stephen

Enzo

Would you ever run a car engine - just for a second to see if it works - with no coolant in it?  Or no oil?  Like he just said, it can overheat in seconds.

What do you mean by "shorts out" the IC?

Fossilshark

Im assuming thats whats happening because im getting no sound and really rapid heat build up

Loudthud

When the chips go bad, you can usually find an internal short by Ohming between the V+ or V- pins to the output pin. Measure an unused chip to establish what a normal reading is. On a good chip the reading may change if you reverse the red and black meter leads.

Fossilshark

Thanks. I checked my chips and i lt appears i havnt blown any (yet) but i am still not sure whats wrong with my circuit. Should i try using a pc power supply that i know is +/- 12v?

Enzo

As long as the supplies are connected to ground at one end, and the proper + and - polarities are connected to the circuit, it doesn;t matter what type of power supply you use.  12v is 12v, the transistors don;t know any different.

And get the IC on a heat sink, without that, it will never work.

exztinct01

and make sure you made the right connections. I've tried powering up an LM1875 amp before and wondered why it won't work. After just 2 seconds, i turned off the power only to find that I made the wrong connections for my + and -

I was lucky no component was damaged.  ;)
After that, I decided never to work in my electronic projects again when my mind or body is not in good condition. I was sleepy then coz I don't want to leave the project unfinished.  :P
~ Stephen