Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 06:18:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Looking for a new ss gigging amp...

Started by jbjr, June 24, 2011, 10:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbjr

Been trying to find a replacement for my old redstripe Peavey Bandit..have decided to avoid valve amps as had nothing but disappointment recently :(.  Problem is most of the ss stuff is entry level rubbish (and not impressed with the newer bandits).

Anybody got suggestions on a SS combo that is reasonable quality and ok for gigging?  I'm really looking for something with a nice sparkly clean channel.   Actually impressed by some of the Randall stuff, and wondering what the rg80 reissue is like (the RG8040)

J M Fahey

Well, then avoid entry level rubbish !!  ;D :lmao:
Seriously now, I find the electronics part good to very good (in most serious manufacturers) and the stuff separating the real men from the kids lies in the speaker issue.
Your Bandit is very good (you already know that), drives a reasonable quality middle-of-the-road Eminence (or some similar Peavey manufactured speaker), in a small, portable, open backed combo, with around 80W power.
Any other similar amp from another brand, will not be that much above it as to justify replacement.
I think that to really make it worthwile, and since you want noticeably more headroom, keeping the jangly clean sound without effort, at higher volume, you should consider an over-140W amp driving two high quality 12" speakers, say a couple of the best new Eminences or Celestions (or Warehouse or equivalent ones).
Or you might consider an SS head (they can be small and light anyway) plus some compact 2x12" cabinet, stuffed with the best you can afford.
*That* will make any member of your band (or the audience) notice the change.
Or you might try to find one of those incredibly loud and clean Peavey amps meant for Pedal Steel guitars.
Having Black Widows wouldn't hurt either.
Used, they might be real inexpensive, plus classic US made Peavey quality would mean they would be holding well.
Good luck.

jbjr

got a 1x12 cab, a WGS British Lead and Emi Texas Heat lying around...so might see what I can dig up in a head.  Shame the Peavey transtubes don't come in a head anymore..and even then the old transtube heads were ridiculously heavy!