Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 01:47:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pearce Gr2 Combo In Oak

Started by Massive Crunch, April 16, 2011, 09:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Massive Crunch

Hi, Well I now know that atleast one other person ["Newbie"] has some interest in these fine amps.................any others? I actually owned another back when Pearce introduced these amplifiers but I foolishly sold it so when this one recently came up for sale I jumped on it.   

J M Fahey

Killer SS amp, will never understand why they were discontinued.

Massive Crunch

Hi, The Pearce is spotless it would be hard to upgrade this one. The Pearce business failed not because the amps were not high quality but because the money to fund the business just was not there to continue,thats a over simplification but thats what I have read. Another photo of the Gr2. Gary  

teemuk

QuoteThe Pearce business failed not because the amps were not high quality but because the money to fund the business just was not there to continue
This. As usual, the financing was extremely tight and for Pearce Amplification's unfortune they never had a top notch management to cope with that issue. They were constantly out of money, parts suppliers, vendors, customers, basically the whole deal required to run a successful and lucrative business. Some financial managers were even dowright ripping them off and running the business down. It's two different things to be able to design great products to sell, and to run a business building and selling that stuff.

In addition, there was a huge recession in the early 1990's so music biz was at the bottom. Then there was the start of the great vintage tube amp boom at the same time so interest to modern solid-state amp designs was also at the bottom. Pearce didn't "discontinue" anything, they were lucky to get some money from auctioning all the assets of the entire company.

Massive Crunch

T,  I understand from your comments you are very well informed regarding Pearce and some of the problems that lead to the demise of the business and not all of them were part of the business itself.You mention the ecomony and the vintage craze for older amps as some of the other outside factors that made their products more difficult to sell.There is a great web site for dedicated to Pearce that you mention with lots of info and some photos of the amps themselves. Pearce Amps Site Info: web.me.com/travishartnett/Pearce_Amps/Home.html    G.

J M Fahey

Nice site.
Unfortunately schematics and a lot of other stuff are way too small and unreadable.

tiktok

Quote from: J M Fahey on April 18, 2011, 12:11:27 AM
Nice site.
Unfortunately schematics and a lot of other stuff are way too small and unreadable.

Hi there--sorry for the necro-thread. 

I had to move the site to:  http://www.travis-hartnett.com/Pearce_Amps/Pearce_Amps/Home.html, but it's pretty static at this point, as new information on Pearce amps is rare.

As far as the images being too small, the key is to click on the thumbnail and then the "download" link over on the right.  That'll give you the highest resolution version of the image.  The schematics are a bit of pain, but the actual physical schematics are much bigger than a standard scanner, and I've never been able to get someone to lend me their physical copies so I can get them on a large-bed scanner.