Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:57:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Hotone Nano Amp Heads

Started by flester, August 10, 2018, 05:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flester

Have been looking at small SS amp heads with a view to building 10" cab. The Hotone ones for example.  http://www.hotoneaudio.com/products/nanolegacy/Amplifier1/2016/1114/184.html
Are these any different to a small practice amp without a speaker? Any idea of what electronics they use?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

lapsteelman

Scrolling through I saw this post from awhile ago... I believe there was discussion about these on Freestompboxes.... I believe they use the TDA2002 or TDA2003.. Fun little amps!
Lap steel player, Electronic maker.

flester

In which case they may sound a bit like my diy tda2003 amp so probably not worth my buying one. Looking for something to feed my diy 1x12 cab. At rhe moment I'm using various pedals with my diy amps and happy with that for now. I also play a lapsteel BTW.

joecool85

Quote from: flester on January 08, 2019, 07:46:38 AM
In which case they may sound a bit like my diy tda2003 amp so probably not worth my buying one. Looking for something to feed my diy 1x12 cab. At rhe moment I'm using various pedals with my diy amps and happy with that for now. I also play a lapsteel BTW.

Just because they use a TDA2003 does not mean it will sound anything like your amp at all.  By definition, chip amps do not color the sound.  The "sound" of the amp is defined by the preamp.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

flester

Quote from: joecool85 on January 08, 2019, 12:38:25 PM
Quote from: flester on January 08, 2019, 07:46:38 AM

Just because they use a TDA2003 does not mean it will sound anything like your amp at all.  By definition, chip amps do not color the sound.  The "sound" of the amp is defined by the preamp.
OK fair enough. Havent seen them in shops to try out but planning to buy or build something for my 1x12 cab