Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 10:08:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Fuse Value

Started by blindsjc, February 05, 2007, 09:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blindsjc

For a 30watt rms amplifier with a transformer like 2,5 amperes and
12-0-12volts secondary, what is the correct fuse value and type on 110volts?
and...theres difference when on 220volts?

Thanks
Ronaldo

teemuk

I1/I2 = U2/U1 = N2/N1,

where 1 is the primary side and 2 the secondary side. I=current, U=voltage, N=turns in winding. If inrush current is not a problem then that should be about it.

Usually due to latter the current is momentarily higher than calculated. My method is testing various slow blow fuses starting from the derived value. I increase the fuse rating until it stops blowing during power off/power on. This method is of course for mains side fuse - secondary fuse should not be troubled by the inrush if it's in a right place.

blindsjc

Sorry,
I think I didnt get it...
U2/U1... so 25/220 = 0.11 ... then the fuse is 0.11 amps?

joecool85

It can be taken a little simpler than that.  Basically you have your max rating on the chip (30w RMS), normally peak is double that (it's good to find out for sure though) but lets assume it is.  So 60w PEAK, and then you want to multiply by 1.5 or so for inefficiencys to make sure you won't blow your fuse under regular use.  So, that'd be 90watts you are dealing with.  To get amps you divide watts/volts.  So on 110v you'd want a 0.81amp fuse (1 amp would be fine obviously) and get a slow-blow fuse, its great for this type of application. 

This has always worked great for me.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

blindsjc

Thanks a lot Joe,
this is clear and really helps me.