Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:11:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Cheap LM1875 thread - who wants one? **All gone!**

Started by joecool85, June 22, 2006, 09:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

syndromet

I've spent the weekend reading about transformers, and I must say things are a little clearer now. Thanx for the link, RDV!

I also ripped apart another non-working HI-FI amp, and found a 12V center tapped transformer. The amp was actually pretty simular to the 1875, so I guess this will be a good transformer for this purpose.

I also measured the transformer I had lying around from my old Pioneer amp. It gave 20V center tapped. Any idea what I can use this for?

Now I'm waiting for my custom made enclosure (It's nice to have friens working in the alu-industry ;)).

DreamSeller

Ive been given a nice set of speakers, Its two 6x9 4 ohms speakers individually boxed but the boxes join together into a nice little case.

-Dream
A Broken Clock Is Right Twice A Day
haggardfx.com - Electronics Resource Library

joecool85

I've heard that while 6x9 (and other car speakers, and hifi speakers) sound great for listening to music, they are rather lack luster with guitar.  Please tell us how it turns out if you use them though!
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

DreamSeller

They sound fine with hifi, Havent finished my LM1875 yet so I cant really tell you. I also get a speaker box with a random 12 inch speaker, I will probly use that with the LM3886 kit.

In term of a replacement speaker, Is there any harm in using an acoustic speaker with electric guitar? I only ask because the specs seem the same and they are a dam site cheaper.

Also I think I have asked this before but is there any harm in plugging a bass into an electric guitar amp?

Thanks

-Dream
A Broken Clock Is Right Twice A Day
haggardfx.com - Electronics Resource Library

joecool85

An acoustic speaker should work so long as it has the right wattage ratings, but the sound might not be quite "right."  Also with the bass in an electric guitar amp, it should be ok here and there, but some have said that, especially at loud levels, it is a lot of stress on the amp.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com