Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:18:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Small but LOUD (and DI?)

Started by PeteTLT, August 14, 2014, 06:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeteTLT

Why, Hello forum!

For the last 3 years, I've been running two amps in my rig. They sounds sexy in conjunction but as my band begins to tour and play shows further and further away, I'm beginning to feel like my two amps take up to much room.

My current set up is an Orange 30W head on an orange 1X12 cab and a Randall 100SC (2X12 cab).

The main issue is with the Randall. Its too heavy. I'm considering buying an unloaded 2X12 and putting the Orange speaker in one side and a Randall in the other, affectively making two 1X12's in the same box.

But I need a small, powerful head. Any suggestions?

I'm hoping to find one with a graphic eq and/or a DI. If thats not possible, a nice line out would be appreciated.
Keep on Rocking in the "Free" World

J M Fahey

Half the weight of what you are carrying is wood.

I would leave the Orange set at home/garage/rehearsal place; for live use build a light combo style 2 x 12" cabinet, fill it with the Randall speakers and mount the Randall chassis inside, either upside down on top front or bolted vertically to the back panel (á la Vox AC30 or Tweed Bassman), cutting a window on top back for front panel access.

Very compact, can be carried with just one hand and much lighter.

I often do such repackaging, using 10mm (3/8") plywood for strength and lightweight.
Don´t even Tolex them which saves more than a pound, just Marine Varnish the cabinet.

Looks real cool to boot ;) .

The final amp weighs about half as the earlier system and is much easier to carry and setup.

PeteTLT

Thanks for the reply!

I've considered getting an Orange Rocker 30w combo but when I played it in store, it frustratingly did not sound like my head...

Plus the cost of replacing the Orange side (while still having to replace the randall side) is a lot more than I care to spend as the randall combo can not be made into a head...

The Orange Head is not the issue. The most weight and space is taken up by the randall by far. My band has banked on enough room for my Orange Head and a small 2X12 cab (and then a very small space for something else, so... the small head) in the van, in fact every member gets the same space.

While on the subject, anyone have any idea how to possibly make a switch which controls whether or not my amp is a 2X12 or two 1X12's in the same box?
Keep on Rocking in the "Free" World

phatt

Quote from: PeteTLT on August 15, 2014, 12:01:35 PM
Thanks for the reply!

I've considered getting an Orange Rocker 30w combo but when I played it in store, it frustratingly did not sound like my head...

Are the speakers the same?  Is the cab closed back while combo is open back?
You could just swap the speaker in the combo for the one in the cab you have.
Speakers (and box open/closed) account for a lot of the tone. 8)
Phil.