Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 04:41:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

op amp voltage and tone

Started by Zozobra, March 20, 2023, 05:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zozobra

I was just idly thinking about the effect of op amp voltage on tone. Most op amp preamps typically use ±15V rails as that's the limit of the TL072 op amp commonly used, but is it an anachronism to be limited by this when there are modern op amps capable of higher rail voltages? Something like the OPA552PA is capable of ±30V, but all other things considered would it sound any different than if it was capped at ±15?

Tassieviking

I do not think it would matter, I think most signals going through the Op-Amps are in the Milli Volt range up to a few volts maximum.

There are some circuits that rely on the Op-Amp reaching the voltage supplied to start breaking upthe signal and making distortion however, but this is on purpose to give the tone some growl.

There are exceptions though and I hope someone who knows better will jump in and give their opinion.
Cheers
Mick
There are no stupid questions.
There are only stupid mistakes.

joecool85

My experience is that higher voltages give you more clean headroom.  It doesn't seem to affect tone at all.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Zozobra

Ok, I'll stick to ±15V rails then  :)