Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 04:47:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

hey guys Saturated here

Started by saturated, March 18, 2023, 10:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saturated

thanks for letting me join!!!  I usually am a long time lurker before joining a forum but this place I wanted to start right away!  I was extremely impressed to say the least...just the old archived info threads are valuable and killer. Trust me I have been poring over them.
about me if anybody cares...Im old!  born in the 60s, love cats, metal, lawnmowers, and history.  im one lucky SOB and dont take the gift of every day lightly.  I wish I knew then what I know now.
but im not complaining.
anyhow I love the old Peavey amps..I have a rage 108 that probably nobody else would ever be able to bear to listen to but the old Peavey tone really hits home for me. 

I am really interested in electronics and have made it through about 3 1/2 books working all of the problems and everything.  Unfortunately I still cant fix anything and decided I would have to do some actual HANDS ON and bought some breadboards and exp electronic books for actual doing stuff.  So I can solve circuits for Kirchoffs law, talk about hole current and minority carriers and find resonant frequencies etc but cant make my silent Peavey Audition Chorus make a sound!

so I will make a thread about my quiet Peavey but meanwhile thanks for having me!!!

regards
Wesley
I ask stupid questions
and make stupid mistakes

criticism, critique, derision, flaming, verbal abuse welcome

joecool85

Welcome, you sound like our kind of people!
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

saturated

bought a few tapes today  :P

You cannot view this attachment.

my high end system  ::)

You cannot view this attachment.

the tape lower right just simply said "Ratt"

I ask stupid questions
and make stupid mistakes

saturated

sorry had to add a few thoughts about the tapes

the home copied tape labeled "Ratt" has a version of walkin the dog that really rocks \m/

the MSG tape is killer...really a shame he/they were not more successful in the states

Aerosmith Night in the Ruts....totally rockin...a couple songs have a real Led Zep Presence vibe big time

Foreigner double vision...got CRANKED BIG TIME...some killer songs....man what memories... :'(

VH Fair Warning....what can you say....does it get any better?

Priest Defenders....wasnt really entranced by it....there are a couple songs that TOTALLY SHRED wow I presume its Glenn putting on a clinic  8) some of the parts my jaw hit the floor  :)
I ask stupid questions
and make stupid mistakes

Tassieviking

Welcome Saturated, yeah I know , a bit late but I am always a bit slow.

If you are new to soldering then the best thing you can do is get a soldering iron with a temperature control and some small tips.
I use a 50 watt iron with a digital temperature display, 50 watt lets it keep the heat better then a smaller iron.

Never buy solder cheap online, you will just produce *s!!t* solder joints that might not make a connection.

I use a 1mm solder tip and good solder that is 0.5mm thick, 0.8mm is ok as well.

I use a magnifying loupe  10x or 20x to check all my solder joints, its amazing how much you will miss if you don't check them properly.

I have been building stuff since I was a young smart-arse way back, my first serious project was a 16 channel mixer desk (ETI I think) around the mid 70's, along with 2 x 100 watt amplifiers that a friend used as a mobile disco.

Once you start building your own stuff you never stop, and why would you when you can make your own amps and pedals cheaper then what you can buy them for.

Shop around for parts as you can get some stuff a lot cheaper if you do, I buy a lot of stuff from Tayda because the price is good.

Cheers
Michael
There are no stupid questions.
There are only stupid mistakes.

joecool85

Quote from: Tassieviking on April 21, 2023, 12:21:13 AMWelcome Saturated, yeah I know , a bit late but I am always a bit slow.

If you are new to soldering then the best thing you can do is get a soldering iron with a temperature control and some small tips.
I use a 50 watt iron with a digital temperature display, 50 watt lets it keep the heat better then a smaller iron.

Never buy solder cheap online, you will just produce *s!!t* solder joints that might not make a connection.

I use a 1mm solder tip and good solder that is 0.5mm thick, 0.8mm is ok as well.

I use a magnifying loupe  10x or 20x to check all my solder joints, its amazing how much you will miss if you don't check them properly.

I have been building stuff since I was a young smart-arse way back, my first serious project was a 16 channel mixer desk (ETI I think) around the mid 70's, along with 2 x 100 watt amplifiers that a friend used as a mobile disco.

Once you start building your own stuff you never stop, and why would you when you can make your own amps and pedals cheaper then what you can buy them for.

Shop around for parts as you can get some stuff a lot cheaper if you do, I buy a lot of stuff from Tayda because the price is good.

Cheers
Michael

I second about the cheap solder being a poor choice, it never works well.  I almost exclusively used Kester solder.  Typically 60/40 in 0.031" diameter.  Definitely go small diameter solder and small to medium size tip for your iron.  If you don't want a digital unit, I recommend the all analog adjustable unit - Weller WLC100.  Typically these sell between $50 and $75 right now online.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com