Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:22:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Peavy rage 158 15 watt combo

Started by Patscbg, December 13, 2014, 06:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patscbg

Hi all
I do a lot of tube amps so I'm very new to solid state, I've got a basic understanding of it and would love to learn more! I've repaired some simple issues on a few but now I've been challenged pretty good I think by a buddy of mine who has 2 of my tube amps! Well he has a peavy rage 158 combo which he loves the tone of, and he wants me to marry the preamp to a tube power section or separate the preamp and turn it into a preamp pedal. Is either possible and worth doing? I know both would be possible but what issues will I be presented with in doing either? I've downloaded the schematic and its a simple preamp with 3 band eq, using a 4558 op amp.
Thoughts on this???
Thanks in advance guys!!

J M Fahey

Using the preamp section as a standalone pedal is easy, just add the proper output jack.

As of driving a tube power amp, conceptually nothing wrong with that, but some tube amp stages (think Fender Twin Reverb type) are somewhat harder to drive, they may need a couple volts RMS, while the original Peavey Rage chipamp was probably happy with 1 Volt or less.

Post the schematic of your actual version, there were may along Peavey history.

phatt

I would just do it as I believe the Rage has a preamp output so easy try it,,, you never know.
Agree with Mr Fahey but Twin like most bigger wattage Valve rigs are *Fixed Bias*  with lots of FBack but some smaller amps that use EL84 in *Cathode Bias* (No Fback) mode will likely work ok.

If it helps right at the mo,, I'm messing with a SS > triode > SS > Valve power amp > power soak > SS power amp test circuit.
Obviously a little complex but I believe it can be all done in one rig if I take my time. :-\

I'm trying to nail down the sound of a not well known amp by the name of Guytron GT100 which is a very smooth liquid sound devoid of any harshness, <3)
I use that sound/tone as a reference to aim for. 8)
Phil.

Anomaly

A Peavey Rage 158 was my first amp ever when i was 14, it actually did sound good for what it was.

J M Fahey

Typical 15W beginner's amps are usually very good, they just lack a good speaker and cabinet.

Plug them into a 4x12" loaded with good Celestion or Eminence or Jensen speakers and they become firebreathing dragons.