Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:27:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

headphone amp for a pre-amp?

Started by BigPolishJimmy, March 27, 2012, 02:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigPolishJimmy

Here's something I was kicking around a while back and I'm just curious if someone has tried it.    I have a Vox amplug , the headphone amp that is supposed to model the AC30. 

I don't know how much it sounds like an AC30, as I don't have one... but it sounds pretty good in the headphones.  I was wondering if it would work as the preamp for one of those chip amps folks around here are building? I have no idea of what the output of an amplug is compared to a preamp.  No clue as if it would work.

Has anyone here tried something similar?

J M Fahey

Never had an Amplug but I'm sure it can drive a chip amp with good results.
Try it and tell us.

joecool85

Anything that drives headphones would be fine to drive a chipamp.  If you do it, let us know how it sounds.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

BigPolishJimmy

ok, sounds like a plan.  I'm going to build a tiny giant as it looks like a good first project.  Of course, I need to fix some of my existing gear first, and given the demands of grad school and being an involved dad, it'll be a little while.

joecool85

Quote from: BigPolishJimmy on March 28, 2012, 01:14:03 PM
ok, sounds like a plan.  I'm going to build a tiny giant as it looks like a good first project.  Of course, I need to fix some of my existing gear first, and given the demands of grad school and being an involved dad, it'll be a little while.

I hear you.  Since we had our first child 5 months ago, I've found very little time for my hobbies.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

petey twofinger

cool idea , please post up results when you try this out ! i am guessing the amplug outputs something right around line level ?

i did a bass amp with the automotive version of this :

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PHA25-8-Inch-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B004V9G3GQ

automotive version :

http://compare.ebay.com/like/330686997632?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

it uses 2 tens , actual bass amp speakers (!) and i run it off of a newer zoom bass processor . really like that amp .

Crystallas

I used to use a millet-design hybrid for a lot of mobile amplification needs. It actually wasn't half bad for my lighter neck pickups. I haven't tried it in a few years, but I don't see how it could hurt on mild output configurations. The devil is in the details.

Roly

The joys of grandparenting - you can hand them back!  ;)

The little Vox box looks fine as a pre, but you can prove the point by getting a suitable patch lead and patching its output into the Aux input of any stereo.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.