Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 04:14:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

XXL Head help!!

Started by falldemon, September 07, 2011, 03:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

falldemon

Ok, so Im in serious need of help here. I recently had my head stolen at a show. To replace it, I found a Peavey XXL. I love Peavey and the price was great so I couldn't pass it up. I checked it out and liked the tone, bought it and brought it home. Anyway, here's the problem... At my apartment it was plenty loud enough because I could only turn it up so much. After I brought it to practice and cranked it, I realized something was wrong. It was WAY to low in volume to be heard over the 2nd guitar and drums. Basically, I never thought to check the power (wattage) switch on the back when I bought the amp because I'm not used to having one on any head I've owned. After taking a look at it, it seems the switch is broken and I believe it is stuck on 50 watts. The plastic selector just freely moves up and down and doesn't even seemed to be connected to the internal switch so it just stays at what its set on. I REALLY need to get it to 100 watts. We have a show Friday and a repair shop will more than likely take too long at this point. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a way to switch it to 100 watts even if it stays set there? I wont ever use the other settings, as I have a practice amp for low volume playing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

teemuk

Well, you can unsolder the switch from the board housing it and then solder jumper wires to permanently wire the thing to a certain setting.

....But since you need to remove that faulty switch from the board and solder stuff in anyway I would rather just fit in a new replacement switch and retain the functionality.