Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 03:58:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

High pass filter

Started by morgoth2006, October 19, 2010, 08:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

morgoth2006

My guitar is driving me crazy, picking up all kind of interference, mostly 50 hz hummm, every time I touch the strings. Shielding improved it a bit but the humm is still too unconfortable to play. I was thinking on a high pass filter 60 Hz up. What do you think?
What kind of circuit should I build?
Thanks.

phatt

Continuity test on the guitar or just Check the hum with another guitar.
I'd seriously consider establishing whats wrong before outlaying money on gear that may not solve the problem.
Phil.

J M Fahey

For a quick dirty test, measure that the shield in your cable has continuity (0 ohms) to the bridge/strings.
You might have lost either
1) the wire (hidden) which grounds the bridge to the pots and jack ground (it's the wire that "comes from nowhere" into the pot cavity *or*
2) You wired your guitar jack upside-down.
3) You are the Nuclear Man.
Hold a cable on each hand and can power a small Town.

morgoth2006

Ok, I got the guilty part. The guitar jack was oxidized and so the ground was disconnected.
The last time I disassembled the guitar I tested continuity with the jack dessoldered and everything checked out fine.
I even disconnected the bridge ground and put a capacitor to see if it helped (I read about it somewhere on the net).
Unfortunatly you theory that I'm the Nuclear Man didn't come true, it would be nice to be a super hero  :tu: but even I admit strange things happen near me. Every time someone calls me to check a computer problem I have a hard time troublechecking the hardware because everything works! I call it the "fear of the doctor" syndrome.  0:)
Electronics on the other hand are still eluding my "powers". Thank god for this forum and for you guys and your precious help.

DJPhil

Quote from: morgoth2006 on October 19, 2010, 07:48:57 PMEvery time someone calls me to check a computer problem I have a hard time troublechecking the hardware because everything works! I call it the "fear of the doctor" syndrome.
I've got a bit of this too. It's kind of like a reverse Pauli Effect. I always thought that if they named this after an experimental physicist then there's hope for anyone to pursue their dreams. :)

bry melvin

Of course there's always the possibility that the decision to LOOK at the equipment forked you into another universe :lmao: :lmao:

J M Fahey

QuoteMy guitar is driving me crazy
Lucky you. Worst case you can pick another at Guitar Center.
My case is worse, My girl is driving me crazy.
Do you have any links to Girl Center? :lmao: