Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:38:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Radio Shack Perfboard

Started by Joe, October 13, 2009, 10:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Just got one of these, seemed like the perfect thing for wiring a preamp, since it works like a breadboard:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102846

J M Fahey

Nice, yes. Mainly *fast*; whatever you Proto and works, can be hardwired in minutes without further complication.
The English had a similar product, don't remember the exact trademark but they were Veroboard's competitors, they sold a kit of one Proto and 3 boards with the same pattern; the curious thing is that they were called "the Blob", were un-perforated , which seems crazy but ended being very logical: you could easily solder components to pads and tracks on the upper side of the board, and mount them on any plastic or metal panel simply with a drop of crazy glue or double sided tape. Crazy concept but worked.
I silk printed and etched my own "blobs" by the twenties , and held them in stock for quick and dirty prototypes which could survive travel and stage use, which can not be said of Protos.
They realized that the slow, boring part of PCBs is drilling.

Enzo

I used to buy that exact board 10 at a time.  I used the little breadboards to make up circuits, and it seemed easier to just transfer it straight over to one of those boards than make up a board from scratch.   ANd many times I needed a small circuit, I could just build it up at one end and saw off the remainder of the board for some other project.

darwindeathcat

Beavis Audio Research sells an improved version of this type of perf board, that's optimized for audio circuit prototyping. I haven't used the Beavis board, but I love these radio shack board. WAY easier than normal perf, and easier than stripboard too (no tracks that you need to cut and direct transfer from the breadboard layout means less chance of making mistakes when laying out the final circuit to be soldered).

Rat shack also has a small "IC" board that's great for making DIY chipamps. Again, Beavis Audio has used one of these for his Noisy Cricket LM386 amp. You can get the info at his site...
__ ------------------- __
__ | | | | | | | | | | | __
    --------------------

joecool85

Beavis Audio is listed in our links section (top of the forum, "links" tab), but here is the address anyway:  http://www.beavisaudio.com/

He has some very interesting stuff on there.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com