Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:00:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

PS caps..?

Started by Aharon, July 07, 2006, 08:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aharon

I have some 5600uF/63V caps that fit perfectly in the PCB.....can I use them or will I be seriously underfiltered?
Thanks
Aharon

RDV

You could try it, and I'm sure it would work, but most every PS you see for this purpose has at least 10,000µF per rail(sometimes more). An exception seems to be here at http://www.audiosector.com/ . You can always change them out if it hums. The Xicons I use are only $3.67 each. The Panasonic ones are about $5.00 but hard to source except at Digi-key.

HTH

RDV

joecool85

This is for a single LM3886 yes?  If so, you'll be fine.  You could go as low as 1500uF or so without major problems.  The 10,000uF caps are overkill, Brian just used them on that PS so that you could use one PS board for multiple chips, as much as two LM4780 (the equivelant of 4 LM3886 chips).
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Aharon

Wow......1500uF?............that's a long way from 10kuF.
I don't know..I don't know......I'll try to get the 10KuF from my supplier,if they have them at a reasonable price fine if not I'll give these a try.
Thanks RDV/JOE.
Aharon

joecool85

Put it this way, 1500uF is what is used for a stereo LM1875 (2x25watts).
thatraymond.com

Aharon

Like you said Joe,this is for a single LM chip........5600uF should be enough then...
Aharon

joecool85

thatraymond.com