Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:24:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Which SS preamp / effect pedal circuit do you consider 'most tubelike'?

Started by JayFett, May 09, 2010, 01:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayFett

Hi, I want to find out what is everybody's favorite <3) solid-state tube-emulation circuit, in preamp or pedal format.

I'm planning my next SS guitar amp, to be made from a car stereo amplifier and a 15VDC off-the-shelf switching power supply. I need the best tube-ish front end that I can build, without actually using tubes.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

rowdy_riemer

There are already many similar posts. You should look through them for ideas. I designed a simple (maybe too simple) preamp using fetzer valve biasing specs. It sounds pretty good to me for a clean tone. I don't know that it sounds as good as the clean tones I get through my little Valveking Royal 8. If you haven't already done so, check out the different projects at runoffgroove.com. If you're looking for a good heavy metal sound, the Dr. Boogie is great. Its bass response might be a little lacking, but through my GFX-212, it sounds pretty bad ass. One of the best sounding pedals I've heard(though not in person) is the Wampler Pinnacle II http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x1aq4ffmzM . I think it is based on the brown sound in a box 2 design, but I'm not sure. The brown sound in a box II might be a good choice too.

I suggest building a separate power amp, and try several different preamps until you find one you like. Put a solderless breadboard into a metal box with some holes drilled for jacks, pots, and switches. Then you can easily try different circuits without having to solder. By having the breadboard in a box, you can still shield the circuit from noise. When you get something you like, then you can go through the trouble of etching the pcb and all the other stuff you do with a permanent build already knowing you'll like how it sounds (barring any stray capacitance issues with pcb layout and stuff). Good luck. :tu:

JayFett

Wow, that Wampler Pinnacle II demo does sound real Eddie Van Halen-ish.

I guess I am looking for a preamp that is NOT primarily a huge distortion sound, but rather a warm, thicker, smooth non-sterile clean, to slight tube overdrive sound. I can sort of get it with my Boss Blues Driver pedal, but it still has a raspy transistor cut-off artifact to it.

Can anybody recommend something like that?

phatt

Quote from: JayFett on May 10, 2010, 02:21:22 PM
Wow, that Wampler Pinnacle II demo does sound real Eddie Van Halen-ish.

I guess I am looking for a preamp that is NOT primarily a huge distortion sound, but rather a warm, thicker, smooth non-sterile clean, to slight tube overdrive sound. I can sort of get it with my Boss Blues Driver pedal, but it still has a raspy transistor cut-off artifact to it.

Can anybody recommend something like that?
Hard to nail down everyones particular tonal needs ,, but from what you say you need the old fashioned rattle with a bit of drive,,, Think early stones songs.

Save yourself some pain,,, go grab a S/hand Graphic EQ> (yes the RCA plugs are a pain but easy fixable)        ***No don't use the Boss GEQ it's a nightmare***.
Now insert the Graphic *After* your Blues driver.

Next build the *Marshall Cab sim circuit*,,, (Google *Ed Rembold Marshall Cab sim*)
it's dead simple to build and unlike some vastly more complex circuits it works.

Insert CabSim *between BDrive and GEQ* before poweramp/guitaramp.

Now if you wish to pull off more cheap tone tricks just build an old fashioned tone stack circuit and insert that *Before* the blues driver.

This tone stack *infront not after* distortion will open your eyes to just how much tone shaping effects the distortion character.
As you may know pedals usually end up in front of tone controls,,,, and it's not enough.

You will then have more tone options than most gear sold today.

Understand what kills modern gear (for the tones I think you maybe wanting)
Is way to much high frequency response.
So watch out when choosing speakers as some are loud as hell but will make your guitar sound harsh. (Metal n Thrash no matter so much they want and need more top and bottom cause they have nothing else,,, no mid.)
also SMPSU's are not really that great you would be better served going with the tried and tested Transformer for PSU.

You can't get much amplifier with 15VDC anyway.
Car Amps might read 100watts but often in  the *Real world* they are not as powerfull as they claim to be.
At least look at some of the chip amps for power amplification section they can run from lowish 20VDC all they way up to 70VDC ct or (35-0-35VDC)

Re the wampler clip;
                           the unit maybe good but hard to tell with so much drowned in massive effects,,, so it's really hard to say?
Heck the above cheap setup I mention here would sound just as massive If I hook up all the effects racks :)
I did have some sound samples of my setup on here but they've gone now :(
Phil.

Zappacat

Phatt,

Can you please tell me what "S/hand Graphic EQ" and "Bdrive" mean ?  Thanks
I put my pants on just like the rest of you - one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I make gold records.

JayFett

Quote from: Zappacat on May 11, 2010, 02:20:51 PM
Phatt,

Can you please tell me what "S/hand Graphic EQ" and "Bdrive" mean ?  Thanks

I took it to mean a used 'second-hand Graphic EQ', and 'Blues Driver'.

phatt

Sorry Zappacat,, yep Jayfett got it.

Jayfett, if you wish I can post all the circuits I use?
My setup does at least deliver the *touch response* that blues type chaps yearn for. 8|
Phil.

Zappacat

Quote from: phatt on May 12, 2010, 09:21:54 AM

My setup does at least deliver the *touch response* that blues type chaps yearn for. 8|
Phil.

I'd sure like to look at those circuits.  Please post them.
I put my pants on just like the rest of you - one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I make gold records.

phatt

Quote from: Zappacat on May 13, 2010, 12:26:29 PM
Quote from: phatt on May 12, 2010, 09:21:54 AM

Phil.

I'd sure like to look at those circuits.  Please post them.
Hi Zappacat, done :)  Check under Schematics and Layouts. :tu: