Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:09:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Reverb tank into Squier 15 SS amp

Started by SpareRibs, January 20, 2017, 08:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpareRibs

Hello,
galaxiex, The hole in the upper left hand corner where you placed the arrow has nothing behind it, no copper leading to it, nothing. There are no more J's anywhere on the board.
The hole for the jumper wire has a circle around it with an arrow pointing directly to Q101.
Would the jumper wire possibly go to the emitter of the Q101 as that would feed the input for the reverb tank ?
Also why doesn't the jumper wire show up on the schematic ?

galaxiex

Looking at the schem I kinda doubt that it goes to the emitter of Q101.
I don't know why the jumper doesn't show on the schem....

Give us a nice clear pic of the copper side of the whole board,
with the J hole marked and I might be able to figure it out.
If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is.

SpareRibs

Hello,
Here it is. Hope it helps.

Enzo

Look at it in the schematic, the end pin of the four goes to C103, so the remaining one must be the ground return for the reverb pan drive coil.  The arrow is not pointing at Q101, it is pointing across the board somewhere, it means a wire goes there off to somewhere, possible even just chassis.

SpareRibs

Hello,
Thanks Enzo that makes sense. Now that makes it powered up, and the other would naturally be ground.

SpareRibs

Hello,
I finally found the solution to the jumper. Another circle with an arrow was between C27 and C28. there are a number of connections in that small area, so in my infinite wisdom I was looking to hard to see anything. Those two are undoubtedly to be connected to complete the reverb circuit because the new one goes to the common coming off of the transformer.
Anyway here are the pictures I took of the PCB on both sides.
I will now jump between the two on the top side with a piece of single strand wire, and continue soldering on the rest of the components. Finally.
Enzo, I owe you a can of Van Camp's
Thank You to everyone involved so far, its been a long project, and its not over yet.

galaxiex

Seems to me I said all this....  ::)

Quote from: galaxiex on February 08, 2017, 05:02:09 PM
Looks like it *might* be the ground connection for the tank and/or that part of the circuit.

Quote from: galaxiex on February 08, 2017, 08:11:45 PM
Look carefully over the whole board for another hole marked "J"

SpareRibs

Hello galaxiex,
Yes you did. I said before on this forum, I am not as knowledgeable as most of you guy's. I thought I looked over the board thoroughly, but I guess not.
When I looked at the bottom of the PCB board it may as well have been the Nazka lines.
I was also looking in the area of the first jumper hole for the other one. It was completely on the other side of the PCB
between two large capacitors, surrounded by a lot of other things.
I will try to be more thorough next time.

joecool85

Interesting project.  I've thought about doing the same to my K-20X as it has the reverb on the board just missing components as well.

Can we see a pic of the 12" speaker in this thing?  I didn't think it would fit!
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

SpareRibs

Hello,
It is housed in a new cabinet. I made it out of 3/4" x 8" pieces of pine shelving. To install it in the original cabinet I removed the bottom and used two pieces of wood 3/4" x 2" to add an extension to fit the speaker.

joecool85

Quote from: SpareRibs on February 12, 2017, 09:34:06 PM
Hello,
It is housed in a new cabinet. I made it out of 3/4" x 8" pieces of pine shelving. To install it in the original cabinet I removed the bottom and used two pieces of wood 3/4" x 2" to add an extension to fit the speaker.

Interesting...still, I'd love to see pics.  Projects like this are always interesting to me!
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

SpareRibs

Hello,
I will post them as soon as I am finished. I spent the day today repairing a tire. It had a self tapping screw in it that I didn't see for a few days. It kept losing air. The only tire shop here (Les Schwab) in town is constantly backed up. Any way they wanted $13.50 to take it off the rim and put a patch on from the inside, when they could get around to it. I just went to the auto parts store and bought the old fashioned kind of tire plugs. I hadn't used them in years and wasn't sure they were still available. I am surprised they were.                                                                                                                                      I spent a few hours today going over the circuit of the Squier amp to be sure all of the electrolytic capacitors were facing the right direction one by one, all of the resistors were in the right positions, and of the proper value.
So it all checked out. It will probably be ready for final assembly tomorrow. I still have to mount the reverb tank in the cabinet. The holes have to be drilled, and the tank mounted, and length of in and out leads determined. So until tomorrow.

SpareRibs

Hello,
Success !!!!! I cranked up the amp today. The reverb tank really adds depth and richness to the sound. I was amazed that it took away all of the solid state brittleness. It really sounds as close to a tube amp as I am going to get for less than $150.00.
I can't thank everyone enough for all of the input and assistance through all of this. With all of the soldering and
grubbing around for parts it finally came together pretty good.
I don't know how to download sound clips, or even record on the computer. I wish, because I would like to share the results with everyone.
Thank all of you again.

galaxiex

Nice to hear you got it working. 

How about some pictures of the board with the new components?  :)