Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:14:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

TDA2003 bass amp

Started by joecool85, April 02, 2006, 06:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joecool85

Well, my brother wanted a small bass amp, so I figured a TDA2003 circuit would work well...well, no.  It sucks actually lol.  Virtually no useable clean headroom, I would dare say the lm386 is better.  Its no looker either lol.

**edit**
I should say that it worked pretty well with guitar.  However, I like the lm386 better even though its not as loud.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

RDV

Have you tried it with a strong(1 amp or better) supply? That'll get you more headroom.

RDV

joecool85

Yeah.  I tried it with a 10AH 12v battery, then 18v AA, neither one made a huge difference, although the 18volts was louder.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

mrk1

I am also working on a tda2003 based amps i found that if you change the 2.2 ohm resistance for a 68 ohm and the 220 for 1k you get a clean sound. There is still some work to be done but really can play clean bass ,may need some type of freq cut off because at max volume it distorts a little when you play the big string. I use it to drive a speaker with amp sim pedal and fx .please post if you know how to fix big string issuse .

J M Fahey

Dear JoeCool. I think thay your BIG problem was not so much with the amp chip itself, but with the speaker. Guitars work anywhere, bass guitars don´t. Please try it again (powered by the 12V battery) with two 6 or 8 inch woofers, 4 ohms each, in parallel (yes, the optimum load is 2 ohms), in a closed box at least 10" deep (WxH depends on speakers used).  You´ll see that the result is more than usable. (No, not with a drummer ) Please try it and post the results . MP3s and pictures would be most welcome.