Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:30:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Capacitor conducting DC?

Started by flester, December 14, 2017, 09:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flester

Just troubleshooting an LM386 amp build on veroboard very similar to the Ruby Amp on runoffgroove.com. (it worked on breadboard!) when i do a continuity test one of the capacitors seems to conduct. Is this normal or does it indicate a bad capacitor? Its 100uF electrolytic.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Jazz P Bass

The only 100uf cap on the drawing is for the battery.

What problem are you troubleshooting?

Katoda

When tested with an ohm meter, every capacitor will conduct for a short period of time, depending on the RC charge time. R being the internal resistance of the ohm meter. If it conducts continuously, the cap went bad.

flester

Quote from: Katoda on December 14, 2017, 12:03:10 PM
When tested with an ohm meter, every capacitor will conduct for a short period of time, depending on the RC charge time. R being the internal resistance of the ohm meter. If it conducts continuously, the cap went bad.
Thanks all. I just had no output or even a click when powered up. To be honest it ended up a mess with broken copper strips etc as I'm new at this. Just going to start again and use 8 pin socket instead of soldering chip to board. Have spares for all the parts anyway.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk