Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:59:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

DIY solid state amp kits?

Started by argenta, June 21, 2021, 10:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

argenta

Hi all. Customer brought in an old Dynamic solid state which looks like its had one mod too many. Don't want to give up on it, so wondering if I can lay hands on a solid state amp kit? Ideas? Cheers
Rhea.

Tassieviking

I have never heard of this amp, but I'm just beginning to make stomp boxes so am not too familiar with the gear.
What sort of amp is it ? How big etc. How many knobs on front ? Reverb ?
If I got an old amp chassis I would replace it with something like a stompbox preamp board.
If the power amp still works you would just need a basic one like a Sunn Beta preamp, quite a few of those around to choose from.
Lots of other PCB's or complete preamp kits for stompboxes out there, you could include a few different effect pedals inside the amp box.
Tube screamer or Rat for distortion, Reverb pedal board (BTDR based)  chorus, etc.
Just run wires from the PCB's to the pots mounted on the front panel,
If the power amp is dead then for a quick fix get a 3886 amp module from Ebay.
It all depends on if you are talking about a small practice amp or a big amp with a 12" speaker in the cabinet.
Sunn Beta (Sunbeam)  https://effectslayouts.com/product-category/pcb/overdrive/page/2/
Other Preamps:  https://aionfx.com/projects/
lots out there made for stomboxes but will work just as well in a full amp in a cab.
post a pic of the cab you are dealing with and you might get better information, what do you want from it ? Clean, crunch, rock, soul, metal.
That's my inexperienced 5 cents worth.

There are no stupid questions.
There are only stupid mistakes.

joecool85

Quote from: argenta on June 21, 2021, 10:02:52 PM
Hi all. Customer brought in an old Dynamic solid state which looks like its had one mod too many. Don't want to give up on it, so wondering if I can lay hands on a solid state amp kit? Ideas? Cheers
Rhea.

It just depends on which portion(s) are needing replacement.  If the power amp is the issue, there are TONS of possible options.  Preamp less so unless you build it yourself (there are quite a few potential circuits but not many sold as kits).  Is the power supply any good?  If so, what is the voltage provided?  Can you post some pictures of the control panel as well as the board(s) inside?
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

argenta

I'd post pictures but is more trouble than it's worth. Anyway - the amp. Two channels,each with two inputs, volume control and tone. Then reverb, intensity and speed. Small reverb tank, and two eight inch speakers. power supply, pre amp and power amp all on  one board. Tried to get the board reprinted, but came back nothing like the original. So just looking to put something in there.

joecool85

Quote from: argenta on June 27, 2021, 11:23:16 PM
I'd post pictures but is more trouble than it's worth. Anyway - the amp. Two channels,each with two inputs, volume control and tone. Then reverb, intensity and speed. Small reverb tank, and two eight inch speakers. power supply, pre amp and power amp all on  one board. Tried to get the board reprinted, but came back nothing like the original. So just looking to put something in there.

OK.  Are you wanting to keep any of the original amp?  PSU?  Power Amp?  Preamp?  Reverb?
thatraymond.com

argenta

I plan to keep the transformer from power supply,and the reverb. Everything else to be rebuilt.

joecool85

Quote from: argenta on July 04, 2021, 08:59:27 PM
I plan to keep the transformer from power supply,and the reverb. Everything else to be rebuilt.

To help with this, we will need to know the voltage on the transformer's output as well as roughly how many watts the original amp was suppose to be.
thatraymond.com

argenta

Wish I could post pictures. It would so help answer your questions. I have the original circuit diagram. I can't tell what the wattage is. I would hazard that the voltage rail is 12-15V.

joecool85

Quote from: argenta on July 04, 2021, 09:03:15 PM
Wish I could post pictures. It would so help answer your questions. I have the original circuit diagram. I can't tell what the wattage is. I would hazard that the voltage rail is 12-15V.

You can post pictures :-)

Please measure the voltage with a DMM and let us know the result.
thatraymond.com