Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 05:08:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Randall RG100HT Weak Channel 1

Started by Randy Lahey, Today at 12:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy Lahey

Hi all,
I have a Randall RG100HT amp head that has a really weak/quiet Channel 1 (not Input 1).  Channel 2 sounds great and is loud as I would expect for a ~100W amp.  When using Channel 1, I have to turn the gain and volume up (past 12 noon) to get a decent signal and even then, there's not much definition to the audio and it is somewhat muffled.

I have reviewed the schematic, confirmed component values, checked DC voltages within the Channel 1 circuit, and ran a signal through Channel 1 and scoped it along the audio path.  I have 24v DC along the DC rail and have good AC audio signal up to the gate of Q2.  All components are within spec and I have replaced Q2 with a new 2N5484 transistor.  Attached is the schematic for Channel 1 and I have annotated it (in blue) with measured DC voltages.  The DC voltages for Q1 are within spec but those at Q2 and Q3 seem to support the notion that something isn't right at either Q2 or Q3.

I'm more familiar with tube amps and not SS amps so I may be not recognizing obvious solutions - so I'm putting this problem to the forum.  What recommendations do you have as a solution to the weak audio in Channel 1?https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM9NMuHgN6irIVMYvnkxXqrwgm2pGozITmv5MDl