Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:36:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Swept Filters Bank V1.0

Started by CrisBonis, December 30, 2012, 07:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrisBonis

Any type of suggestions or bug reports is .....   <3)

Roly

Cris - I haven't said anything because I haven't yet got around to installing v1 of anything, but I don't want you to think you are being ignored, or that what you are doing is not being appreciated.

I've written a lot of code and done a lot of audio engineering but it wouldn't be fair to comment until I have actually used your software and can offer sensible suggestions.

In the meantime, thank you for your efforts.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

CrisBonis

Quote from: Roly on December 31, 2012, 05:51:04 AM
Cris - I haven't said anything because I haven't yet got around to installing v1 of anything, but I don't want you to think you are being ignored, or that what you are doing is not being appreciated.

I've written a lot of code and done a lot of audio engineering but it wouldn't be fair to comment until I have actually used your software and can offer sensible suggestions.

In the meantime, thank you for your efforts.

;)

Enzo

Looking it over, considering the volume of your work, I won;t pan it.  SO I'll stop, turn about face, and exit.

Oh, I don;t know, it just seemed amusing when I wrote it.  Sorry.......

J M Fahey

Dear Cris, can't but agree with Roly and all others here. :cheesy:
The volume and quality of your work is so huge, that it's hard to keep up to date with it  :o, let alone try your cool Software and be able to offer comment.
The silence comes from amazement, not disinterest (definitely). ;)
Similar thing happens with KMG, who every week (or so it seems) drops some bright new idea for our consideration. 8)
Or Phatt: personally I have not yet built his earlier Reverb, when he's already posting his new tank torture machine . 8|
Sorry, LM1875 transformer coupled Taser . :-X
What a bunch of cool intelligent guys we have here !!!! :dbtu:
Just sayin'  <3)

J M Fahey

Dearcris, just downloaded and tried to test the Swept Filters bank.
Clicking the .exe the screen shows the front panel, but when clicking any value (say, 891-1000-1122) I see the warning EXCEPTION_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION .
Don't know whether it's a problem of my computer (An old Pentium 4 running XP) or the Sound Board (Forte Media FM801 ? )

Roly

Quote from: J M Fahey on December 31, 2012, 05:07:23 PM
Dear Cris,
The silence comes from amazement, not disinterest (definitely). ;)

:dbtu: :dbtu: :dbtu:

CrisBonis

Quote from: J M Fahey on December 31, 2012, 05:33:23 PM
Dearcris, just downloaded and tried to test the Swept Filters bank.
Clicking the .exe the screen shows the front panel, but when clicking any value (say, 891-1000-1122) I see the warning EXCEPTION_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION .
Don't know whether it's a problem of my computer (An old Pentium 4 running XP) or the Sound Board (Forte Media FM801 ? )

Sorry, my new DSP code supports the DirectSound of Win7, no extern dll is required , to do this i have used DirectSound Win7 in exclusive mode..i'll try to fix this issue...  ::)

Thank you all for the moral support  :tu: ... and ....  :) happy new year

CrisBonis

Roly

Running XP v2002 SP3, P4 3GHz, 1Gb RAM

Swept Filter "testfix" unpacked okay with bass.dll but on startup reported that it couldn't find it.

TGen v4

On startup reported;

"OpenAL32.dll is not a valid Windows image"

However it did come up.

Sine sweep de-highlights so it can't be turned off, just goes through to end.

Pink noise button de-highlights, re-highlights with a click off the button but the noise continues until the highlighted button is reclicked.

The highlights on the buttons below "Multitone..." seem to behave inconsistently.

Toolbar button brings TGen to the foreground but doesn't toggle it back into the background.

After running TGen another attempt to run testfix produced the same OpenAL32 error and opened the Cmd window.  Unlike TGen it did not start.

Sweeping with a sine is a bit unusual and I would find sawtooth lin and log sweeps more useful; also high and low sweep rates such as 1sec and 10sec as I have in my bench sig gen.

HTH

CrisBonis

Quote from: Roly on January 01, 2013, 11:29:02 AM
Running XP v2002 SP3, P4 3GHz, 1Gb RAM

Swept Filter "testfix" unpacked okay with bass.dll but on startup reported that it couldn't find it.

TGen v4

On startup reported;

"OpenAL32.dll is not a valid Windows image"

However it did come up.

Sine sweep de-highlights so it can't be turned off, just goes through to end.

Pink noise button de-highlights, re-highlights with a click off the button but the noise continues until the highlighted button is reclicked.

The highlights on the buttons below "Multitone..." seem to behave inconsistently.

Toolbar button brings TGen to the foreground but doesn't toggle it back into the background.

After running TGen another attempt to run testfix produced the same OpenAL32 error and opened the Cmd window.  Unlike TGen it did not start.

Sweeping with a sine is a bit unusual and I would find sawtooth lin and log sweeps more useful; also high and low sweep rates such as 1sec and 10sec as I have in my bench sig gen.

HTH

Many Thanks  :tu:

......working ....assembling a new PC with xp sp2 ... clean ... for test  8|

J M Fahey

QuoteThis work on Win XP ??

www.bonisaudio.com/free/testfix.zip

Yes: I clicked it (had a little problem finding it, as Roly reports, but no big deal)
Don't know if you sent me just a test snippet (I think so) but a black DOS style window opened, and I heard a sweeping up/down sinewave. :tu:
So yes, the concept works in my computer. :cheesy:
Sweeping with a sine is a bit unusual and I would find sawtooth lin and log sweeps more useful
Dear Roly, you didn't catch what it's for ;)
You want to replace a function generator.
There's lots of such software out there and even the original TGen does exactly that, with a lot of waveform and noise options.
Even bitones.
What I personally asked him (if at all possible) was to mod it into a *swept sinewave generator* , if at all possible 1/3 octave wide, which is needed to measure speakers frequency response.
There is not such software freely available on the Net, simple as that. :o
So, Cris, keep up the good work  :dbtu: :dbtu:

Roly

Quote from: CrisBonis
......working ....assembling a new PC with xp sp2 ... clean ... for test

{tinktinkhammersawsawweldhammer}

The functions all seem to deliver okay (plus/minus my headphones and hearing loss), my only (minor) problems were with the user interface, and taking an intentionally dumbell approach to the installs.

I know that documentation is a whole other project, but a Help file that explains what the various functions can be used for, a How To that assumes little prior knowledge would be a great enhancement (and hopefully short circuit some of the more idiotic e-mails you are bound to get from newbies trying to test their doof boxes).

Settle JM, settle; just an observation - it's software, we can have it all can't we?   :cheesy:  {'sides, we need to keep him busy so we can catch up  :lmao: }

CrisBonis

Quote from: Roly on January 01, 2013, 11:42:23 PM
that explains what the various functions can be used for,
right....  ;)

ps
working on GUI stability