Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:35:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Can you suggest power amp project for 42-0-42 toroid traffo?

Started by exztinct01, June 09, 2016, 07:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exztinct01

As the title speaks, can you recommend a power amp project for my 42-0-42 300watts traffo? I remember I scavenged it from a powered mixer with 2 pairs of 2SC5200 and 2SA1943 but I'm prepared to use better power trannies for the amp. I prefer it to be versatile enough for use as guitar or hifi power amp, something in the middle I think. I don't have any ideas as to how many watts it will put out but doesn't matter for me right now. Traffo must be put to use  ;)
~ Stephen

phatt

Enzo

exztinct01

;) yeah AC, so about +/-60V rails
any good project with that power?
~ Stephen

phatt

Yes *Enzo*, I figured AC was meant but I thought it wise to clarify.  ;)

@ *exztinct01*
As long as you are aware that you will have 117VDC between the two rails and if you come into contact with both rails you may not live to tell about it. :-X :'( xP

Industrial welders are limited to an open circuit voltage of about 80 Volts.
Above that you are on dangerous ground, So an amplifier with 40VDC rails is about as far as you can go without too much concern but above that,, you are getting into the danger zone,,,so at your own risk xP

A while back I scored a freebe Dead power amp which had 90 Volt rails,, one reason I gave it away was the really high voltage as the gigs I play I would never use 400Watts anyway,, so not worth the trouble.

Phil.

exztinct01

okay, not recommended for guitar amp
how bout bass amp or subs?
~ Stephen

phatt

The issue is not what type of amplifier,,,,,
I'm simply trying to warn you that ANY Amplifier you build with that transformer Will Be much more dangerous due to the higher voltages.  8|
Even with +/-40Volt rails you can still put yourself in harms way if you are not careful.

Phil.

J M Fahey

Fully agree and add: obviously a 300W amp ;)
Rail voltage and transformer size point exactly to that ...  ot forgetting it was pulled from a 300W amp  ::)

Just one doubt: what happened with the donor amp power amp PCB and supply?

Because you could recycle that too, would save you 90% of the work.

If not, either get a commercial 300W amp kit which works with those rails or nearby or get ready to do some heavy PCB designing ... which you'll later have to print, etch and drill.

phatt

Thanks Mr Fahey, ;)
      Yes recycling parts from the old Amp is the way to go and those power transistors can be put to use.

@ exztinct01
In fact I built this power amp not so long back using the same power devices you mention
http://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=3921.0

Schematic here;  http://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=3779.0
Scroll down to last posting for the correct schematic.

It runs on 48-0-48VDC rails I would not wish to push that any further. :-X

The design is basic and no doubt a clever designer could pull more watts from the same supply but it's all I needed. This has been running flawlessly now since late November 2015. (at least 20 gigs this year plus much rehearsal at home)

You just need to find a lower voltage transformer,, something around 30VAC ct will give you a tad over 40VDC rails.
Phil.

exztinct01

about the power amp pcb and supply, i put it in a plastic bag and my brother in law mistakenly thought it was garbage so he threw it away

I think it would be better to just sell this traffo and buy a lower voltage one. Unless I would be stubborn enough and not follow Phil's advice of avoiding high voltage projects for now  ;)
~ Stephen