Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:47:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Speaker build question AS112A : what is a "2NR M5 tee nut" ?

Started by Zappacat, January 27, 2010, 12:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zappacat

The AS112A speaker design PDF calls for using "2NR M5 tee nut" to secure the carrying handle to the top of the speaker cabinet. I'm here in the US and everything is in "standard" measurements at the hardware stores for this type of fastener. Can someone please tell me what 2NR and M5 mean in this specification? If those numbers pertain to metric sizes what should I be looking for in a standard size equivalent?

reference link : http://www.award-session.com/award-session_projects.html

Thanks very much in advance
I put my pants on just like the rest of you - one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I make gold records.

J M Fahey

Hi zappacat.
you will be using a tee  nut and matching screw/bolt which you will buy from the guy who sells you the handle so don't worry, you will buy them as a set.
I doubt a regular hardware shop guy knows anything about tee nuts.
The M5 means Metric 5mm but you will use whatever comes with the handle.
If not, that M5 is very close to 3/16" (4.8 mm)
Those M4 holes for panel screws mean 4mm, you can use a 5/32" drill , I never learnt the NÂș-something drill sizes.
Start practising Metric, step by step everything is heading that way.
Good luck with your cabinet.

Enzo

Actually, in the USA, a "real" hardware store should have T-nuts.  And stores like Lowes and Home Depot should as well.  They come in stardard imperial threads, so 3/16 would work, or 12-32 or 10-32.

You are just bolting a handle to a box, this is not critical as to the size screw you use.

Of your speakers are mounted using T-nuts, again use whatever makes sense.  Typical speaker screws are #8 or #10.  I wouldn;t use smaller.  And if you want to go larger, make sure the screws fit the holes through the speaker.