Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:52:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Peavey Heritage VTX ..uh oh..

Started by ohmy!!, July 08, 2010, 04:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bry melvin

check the tube pin contacts: they often spread and don't make good contact. Some blue is often normal with mordern tubes (often test gassy too...not as deep a vaccumm) however loose tubes can cause lots of problems. As you saw a change when tapping the tubes  would take a good look at contacts AND clean any carbon trails off of the sockets especially since you started with a redplating problem on this amp.

ohmy!!

The tubes were a little loose.  I also took the board out to check the soldering.  One of the driver transistors needed to be soldered better, it also had a huge dead bug stuck to the pins  :o.   Transistor  Q6 was also a bit loose.  So far it's playing normal now, actually sounds a little different than before.  Hopefully it will stay that way.  I'll clean off the contacts on the tube sockets for good measure.

J M Fahey

The poor little 6 leg bug wanted to make love  <3) to the huge 8 leg tube and got zapped.
Love is blind :( .

ohmy!!

;D It would seem so.  Anyhow I think it's all good now, I played it for hours on end today and cranked it up really loud to test it (about half-way on both channels combined with a distortion pedal).