Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 01:45:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Sick Marshall, need help

Started by tinpan, March 03, 2014, 08:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinpan

Hello I have a Solid State Marshall Valvestate VS230 that I need help with, I do have the schematic. It started with a high pitched "pop" when powered on, but it would play fine. Then it developed a squeal. I have electronics background so I opened it up and found 2 resistors had gotten hot and turned brown. R10 and R18 both 10 ohm 1/2w, I replaced them along with 2 2.2uf/50v caps in the circuit and the 2 power output IC's TDA2050. But it got worse instead of better, now it sounds as if Im playing through wax paper much like a kazoo. If anyone knows about solid state amps and what could be the problem here, any help is appreciated. I can email you the schematic if you like.
Don
"Nobody leave's this place without singing the blues" (Albert Collins)

J M Fahey

Start by attaching the schematic here, so it's available to everybody.

tinpan

tinpan

The "Kazoo" effect was bothering me and made me think (Blown Speakers??) so I plugged in the headphones and the guitar sounds good, nice & clear, small hum in the OD channel but not bothersome I'll hunt down that problem later. Can anyone concur? Bad speakers?

Enzo

Connect the speakers to some other amp and find out.  Likewise, connect this amp to some other speaker system and see if the amp sounds OK.

tinpan