Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:59:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

TDA 7293

Started by jimtr6, December 07, 2016, 06:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimtr6

I saw one of these on Ebay, already on the small board claiming up to 100 watts and for under $4 shipped, so I gave it a try, it was my first time putting something like that together but the cost was next to nothing, I used a center tap transformer that I already had that gave me about 17 volts each leg, for a preamp I'm just using a Digitech Genesis 3 which does it all, equalization, modeling (if you want it) and effects, I'm running it into a BW 1502 at 4 ohms. I am impressed! This little thing has quite some volume even with a transformer not designated for audio and on the low side as far as voltage. I'm a 66 year old guy and don't like loud volume, just here in the living room with a steel guitar so this is more than enough. Is the TDA 7293 a favorite for these little amps or is there even something better, I'm curious about class D now

Enzo

Of course class D is totally unrelated.  The TDA 7293 eet al are just bipolar amplifiers.  MArshall used a lot of them in solid state amps.  Probably asking too much of them.  No reason they cannot sound good, and with 17v power rails I doubt you can tax them as long as the thing has a good heat sink.

The LM3886 is probably better liked, but that is just my opinion.

J M Fahey

Agree on LM3886 opinion, but I guess I found the reason: LM3886 is simpler to use and it boasts 50 or 60W RMS , which it does accomplish with no trouble at all, in my view that is the maximum reliable power for that package, which amounts to two TO220 transistors side by side.
Now TDA7293/4 claim 100W RMS which simply is asking too much from the exact same package.
They *can*  deliver them, but are so much on the edge that they sometimes fail ... maybe 5% or 10% of them but that´s *a lot*  and more than enough to taint any reputation.

But your way lower supply is *easy* on it and it will last forever.
You are getting some 15/20 W RMS which is way more than enough to annoy neighbours, that coupled to Black Widows´insane efficiency and biting sound will make for a killer home package, and probably enough for a small Club, if you play Country and such.

Not a Death Metal amp for sure  :lmao:

As I said, not a bad chip at all, just factory claims too much.

jimtr6

exactly, I couldn't agree more, I have a Peavy Session 500 that I believe is good for about 300 watts and it's massive, the heatsink looks like it came off an air cooled four stroke engine and it has six or maybe even eight power transistors so I don't expect loud 100 watt volume levels out of these small packages, it's just too hard to believe they can actually do that, as you say if it's an honest 25 watts or so (which it certainly sounds like) then it's all I need. I like it a lot and I designed a speaker cut off circuit that delays a few seconds for speaker connect on power up and immediately (slightly before amp discharges and is off) speaker disconnect to avoid the "pop". I did check out the LM 3886, it comes mounted on a board with all resistors etc for around $8 on Ebay, I'm considering putting a small computer fan. I just want an amp that is linear and doesn't add or subtract from the input

J M Fahey