Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:23:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

DIY 60w SS Guitar Amp project to build??

Started by Kike, September 02, 2015, 11:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kike

Hi Everyone

I have 12 inch,8 ohm, 60w speaker canibalised from an old broken Guitar amp.

I am looking to build a simple amp, nothing fancy, to drive that speaker

I know how to read schematics and i build my own pcbs, I just need some project that is tested and works.

I didn't find anything yet to know that it works, for sure.

Thank you in advance,

Kike

J M Fahey

For power amp: 50/60W LM3886 
There's many PCB designs posted, choose the one that fits you.
Transformer is easy to find (22+22VAC , 80 to 120VA) , check APEX transformers (not so sure of spelling)  or you may reuse some similar transformer pulled from dead/abandoned home Hi Fi equipment (check garage sales or Salvation Army for old Sansui/Pioneer/etc. home amps, ) or get a dead guitar amp for peaniuts or free and reuse transformer, chassis and cabinet ... with your speaker of course.

preamp: http://sound.westhost.com/project27.htm
Rod elliott offers the PCB by mail.
If you don't want to wait for it, maybe you can design your own or build the preamp on Veroboard (recommended) or perfboard.
It's a nice basic Fendery sounding preamp, excellent cleans and *a little*  dirt, any further needs your own pedals, which can also be DIY of course.

Or some or the Run off groove projects can be used as a preamp.

Absolute most basic preamp, which can be used on its own, is an MXR Distortion +  pedal, which may be used as a clean or dirty preamp of course if you replace clipping diodes with Red Leds or series silicon diodes as Rod does.
It can straight drive the LM3886 amp.

Kike

Thank you for the fast reply,

I already have few candidates for the amp

I think I will make Rod elliotts preamp.