Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:08:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Schematics for Barcus Berry model 1720?

Started by MTelinkangas, February 28, 2015, 12:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTelinkangas

Does anyone have schematics for Barcus Berry model 1720? It is 70's-80's acoustic guitar combo. i've been using it for electric guitar and it has great cleans. I've tried to email Barcus Berry but can't get any answer.

Roly

Hi MTelinkangas, welcome.

A little research shows the company quit guitar amps many years ago.  I've never come across the name before and a bit of Googling suggests that there aren't any circuits on line out there ('tho one of the brains trust here may have one stashed always somewhere).  Not to worry, most repairs are carried out without a circuit.

What is the nature of your problem with it?
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

MTelinkangas

Hi, and thanks. There's no real problems, just a few broken potentiometer shaft. It can be used in that condition but i'm going to replace them some day. Just asking the schematics of pure interest.

Roly

Well the best of luck, but unless they find one down the back of a filing cabinet somewhere I think you've got Buckley's chance.

J M Fahey

QuoteEnglish convict who was transported to Australia
:trouble

You mean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Buckley_%28convict%29  ?

That's why I strongly avoid arguing with Roly, Phatt, and others.

Survival instinct, they call it.

Buckley's not around any more ..... but his lovely grandchildren seem to be happy and prospering ;)

I've seen the Documentary
;)  ;) 

Roly

Buckley is particularly notable for going it alone from his group of escapees who set off for Sydney, thinking it only a small distance when it was actually 1000km and some pretty tough country distant.  Instead he went south west and made contact with the Wathaurung people whom he joined, learned their language, most likely the first white man ever to do so, and lived with them for 30-odd years, getting married into the tribe and having a daughter.

Koories (as southern aborigines call themselves generally) identify as "salt water" or "dry land", and the tribe that Buckley joined was coastal and less nomadic because the living was easier, however their lands extend well inland and actually encompass the Ballarat goldfields where I live.  Many shellfish middens still dot the entire coastline, showing that "tossing a shrimp on the barby" long predated the coming of the whitefella.

Since Buckley eventually returned to white society, working as a translator and providing us with a unique insight in to Koorie life before white settlement, "Buckley's Chance" in Aussie vernacular is generally taken to mean "next to no chance", just possible, but highly unlikely.

Enzo

Barcus Berry split in two a long time ago.   Barcus Berry continued on making pickups/transducers and preamps.  The other half became BBE (Barcus Berry Electronics) and made things like the Sonic Maximizer that used to be a popular unit.  Their focus was the electronics.

BBE still exists.  If you tried to contact Barcus Berry, it might be worth a try contacting BBE.  An amplifier might be closer to their mission than to Barcus Berry.

http://www.bbesound.com/

MTelinkangas

Thank you very much. I emailed BBE, let's see if they have anything to say.

mexicanyella

I e-mailed BBE once with a repair question regarding one of their active DI boxes and got a prompt reply; good luck.

MTelinkangas

No answer so far. Honestly I don't think that questions about amp that's been discontinued decades ago will be top priority to them. Well, there's still little hope left.

J M Fahey

Oh well, not worse than the hundred thousands amps out there also without published schematics.

At least, being an old American amp, specially from a company which did not specialize in them, there's a great possibility that they did not go "wild" on the design but were rather conventional, some even using the straight datasheet application note or not far from it.

Which helps in servicing by comparing it to a similar one.

Just curious, if you have some free time, post a couple pictures of guts in general and a couple power amp closeups.

Sharp, well illuminated and readable so we can identify parts.

EDIT: just curious, I found a "brother" or "cousin"
here: http://forums.vintageamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=98424

It screams late70's/early80's with those aluminum domed square magnet CTS speakers and the small corner protectors (which I cloned, by the way) ; it might be very close to an Acoustic (brand)  amp.

MTelinkangas

It seem that BBE won't answer... I'll try to take pictures some day.

J M Fahey

Somewhere I read they were designed by the Standel guy ... might help understand his "style".

Every designer has his pet way to do things so often repeats some ideas in different products.

Might be a clue.

teemuk

Bob Crooks definitely did design for them.

I have been somewhat interested in design details of these amps because likely related Barcus Berry patents feature some neat inventions : "Load correction" - more specifically, several embodiments of it - obviously had something to do with reactive speaker loads, but the patents are somewhat obscure in whether BB tried to compensate/eliminate the reactive nature of speaker loads or simply enhance it similarly to modern "mixed mode feedback" schemes. Then there are others too, like a nice notch circuit for feedback or hum elimination.

This in an era when most solid-state guitar/acoustic amp designers were still unaware that such features should perhaps even be developed.

Haven't seen schematics. Circuitry patented by Bob Crooks / Barcus Berry, however, is something I have never encountered in Crook's earlier work with Standel, Randall, SG Systems, Gibson, etc....

teemuk

On that note... I never got to try any of these but I always wondered about the "Accent" controls: How exactly do they work? Low-band / High-band distortion? Post-distortion tone controls in addition to other tone controls? Something else...?
There's not much information around about these amps so every little bit helps all others who are interested in them.

Edit:

http://patents.justia.com/inventor/robert-c-crooks