Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:15:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

need help figureing out speaker wattage and ohms for speacker replacement

Started by pboyrocke, January 28, 2015, 10:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pboyrocke

I have a crate GX 212 120 Watt  combo with reverb. and am a little confused as to what kind of speakers to put into it. I would like to change them to get a warmer OD sound. I am an automotive tech, I know how to read wiring diagrams and such but this has still left me confused. I have the owners manual, and the manufacture wiring schematic and am still left confused about speaker wattage and ohm per speaker that I need to replace them with. For example do I or can I put two 60 Watt  4ohm 12" speakers as the amp is 120 watts or do I put two 120 watt 4ohm speakers in it? .  I would greatly appreciate any help or info on this. the wiring schematic shows me one speaker at 4 ohms 120 watts. I have two is the wattage split? or 120 each at 4 ohms.

g1

The amplifier power will be split between whichever speakers you use.  If you plugged it in to a 4x12 cab, the 120 watts would split 4 ways.
  With 2 speakers, they will each get 60 watts.  A bit of a safety margin helps, you might consider two 75watt speakers if you play loud.

But just as important is the speaker impedance.  The amp is designed for a 4 ohm minimum load.  So you would want two 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel to make a 4 ohm load.  That is probably what the stock speakers are.
  Two 4 ohm speakers wired parallel would make a 2 ohm load which would overheat and damage the amp.  They could be wired in series and make an 8 ohm load, which would be safe for the amp, but the amp will put out a little less power into 8 ohms than it will into 4 ohms.

pboyrocke

thank you so much g1 for your info. its greatly  appreciated. :dbtu:

J M Fahey

There is an Eminence 12"guitar speaker which may suit you.
Don't remember the exact model , but it's the 150W one, with a large magnet and a 2"voice coil.

I suggest it not because of power handling (of course that doesn't hurt either)  but because the larger than usual voice coil (2"versus typical 1 3/4"British or 1 1/2" American) , thicker wire winding, thicker heavier cone and extra adhesives needed to stand that much power make it lose some sparkle (which makes your distortion buzzy) and instead gain low mids, which you will perceive as warmer.

Do your homework, search those Eminence datasheet and post it here for confirmation.

You can also spend a little more and get a couple Eminence "Greek Letter" (Alpha/Betta/Gamma/Delta) which are mainly designed for high power PA use, but are favored by many guitar players (including our own Steve Conner)  for their smooth neutral sound.

pboyrocke

thanks J M Fahey for the info. I got the data sheet for ya. sounds gd on paper but I caint find anywere  how it sounds. I understand their are many on here with more experience than me but I caint see myself buying a speaker with out hearing something of it first. oh and its the eminence LEGEND 1218.

J M Fahey

Reasonable.
And yes, that's the one :)

You are right, doubt there's much posted about it, and anyway hearing it with a very different amp (say from very bright Soldano, Trainwreck or VOX to very dark MBDR) won't be the same as hearing it coupled to a SS Crate.

But search on YT the "guitar speaker comparison" videos.

The ones fitted on 2x12"Crate combos ,depending on manufacturing year, usually are some house branded Eminence (think Legend 1258 , compare its very peaky curve with the smoother one found in the 1218) or mid priced Celestion, think G12 65 or Seventy 80.

Meaning the factory Crate speakers are already very good, but I understand they do not smooth the distorted sound they receive.

Applying some lateral thinking, maybe you do not need to change speakers for a smoother, creamier sound ; I'd also consider getting a good distortion pedal which suits you.

That said, go listen to those YT videos, they are real eye (ear)  opening :)

Here's one example: that Rivera, although a Tube amp, was clearly used with the Master at low volume, and sound is buzzy nasal .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWK0sa7tlfI

FWIW the Celestion K100 is similar to the 150W Eminence I suggested and the EV12L similar to the Eminence Beta, although the latter is slightly darker, so that might give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Listen to it 100 times and you'll still wonder at how much speaker influences sound.  :o

I usually find ridiculous 100 post threads (battles?) arguing minimal and anecdotical differences such as "12AX7 long plate vs. short plate" or pedal colour or battery brand used, while speakers are 1000 times more personal and meaningful.

Oh well, at least you came to one of the very few serious Forums  <3)

pboyrocke

hey guys just got some new info from crate on the gx212 speakers.

J M Fahey can you check this out and tell me what you think.

pboyrocke

any one have any advice using the hosa sidekick passive direct box. I got it hooked up to my comp. pro tools wont recognize it or  energytx 2.6. but I can hear the guitar thru the comp speackers. :-\

Roly

Quote from: pboyrocke on January 30, 2015, 03:07:47 PM
any one have any advice using the hosa sidekick passive direct box. I got it hooked up to my comp. pro tools wont recognize it or  energytx 2.6. but I can hear the guitar thru the comp speackers. :-\

This does not seem to relate to the original question and should therefore have a new thread (or it will just get buried here).
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

pboyrocke

This does not seem to relate to the original question and should therefore have a new thread (or it will just get buried here).
[/quote]

were do you suggest I post my question about using the direct box? @ROLY

J M Fahey

Answering for Roly : just post a new thread called " using the hosa sidekick passive direct box" so it shows up in search if in the future somebody has the same doubt :)