Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:25:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Total noob with access to lots of salvage parts

Started by Zaphod Beeblebrox, November 23, 2014, 11:10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Greetings folks, I'm a total noob to amp building and hoping to get some help and advice from more experienced people.

I work at a computer repair shop and recycle old and unwanted computers everyday.  It occurs to me that I am sending piles of usable electronic components to the recycler that perhaps could be used to build an amp.
I know how to solder, and have built some simple circuits for bicycle headlights and that sort of thing but nothing as complicated as an amp.

I've read plenty of stuff online regarding amp building but much of it is over my head.  I'm pretty sure that with step-by-step instructions I could build a Kit, but given just a schematic I would not produce anything that works.  I need more instruction than that.

Where do I start? 
Is this a totally insane idea that should be abandoned immediately?
Can you folks help me? Am I beyond help?

Roly

Hi Zaphod, welcome (and that second head suits you  :dbtu: ).

No, it's not an insane idea, 'tho I don't consider my mountain of computers as much of a source of component supply for audio projects because they continue the trend towards being highly application-specific, however defunct power supplies do have a useful collection of bits, project cases, hookup wire, &c.

Besides, buying the components for a small amp tends to come in the range of the price of a cup of coffee to the price of a good lunch - you are not going to need a bank loan.

Start small.  Gradualism is good.  Computer speakers often have built-in small amps which can be adapted as small guitar amps (and sound a whole lot better with a reasonable speaker), and provide you with a way to ease yourself into analogue before you attempt something more ambitious.

Have a look at this thread;
http://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=3561.0
... for some very basic hand-holding.

Quote from: Zaphod BeeblebroxCan you folks help me? Am I beyond help?

That's an entirely different question; building stuff is highly addictive ... but you're in good company here.   :duh :lmao: :dbtu:
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

g1

And above all,
DON'T PANIC !!!
(and don't forget your towel)
;)

Zaphod Beeblebrox