Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:46:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

De-Soldering Station?

Started by galaxiex, September 24, 2014, 03:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galaxiex

Not sure where to put this. Mods please move if required.

I'm contemplating buying a vacuum desolder station and would like to see what other folks are using.

Seen some on eBay fairly cheap. As low as $75.00.

I don't want to spend more than about $150.00.

Anything decent for that price area?

This will only get occasional hobby use so no need for a $1000.00 + pro model.

Thanks for any suggestions!
If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is.

phatt

For light hobby use this is all you need. I've had mine for years and still works fine.
Of course you do have to pull them apart and clean them every so often.
For under $10,,  8)
Phil.

https://core-electronics.com.au/solder-sucker.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CIeJ792A_MACFdclvQodMpYA9w

galaxiex

Thanks.  :)
I actually have 2 of those already. Plus solder wick.
Looking to get something a bit more "automated" ;).
Besides, I like tools and gadgets.   :loco

joecool85

Quote from: phatt on September 25, 2014, 05:09:48 AM
For light hobby use this is all you need. I've had mine for years and still works fine.
For under $10,,  8)
Phil.

https://core-electronics.com.au/solder-sucker.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CIeJ792A_MACFdclvQodMpYA9w

I actually have been thinking about getting something like this next time I place an electronics order.  I normally just use wick.  Do you find these to work pretty well in comparison to a simple solder wick?
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

g1

I think that the one piece unit would turn out to be a major disappointment.

Enzo

For the occasional use, I like the metal spring loaded ones too.  But they are not as effective as the powered one.  The springers will always have the tip of the iron under the edge of the tip of the sucker.  My Pace unit will slip over the end of a part lead and will have contact with the solder and pad all the way around.   And to use, my Pace has only the iron to get onto the joint, the springer needs room for itself and the iron.

There is no recoil with my Pace unit, my springer likes to hop when triggered.  A slim tip on my Pace gets down into tight spaces better than an iron and the springer.    Extract a 64 pin DIP from a board with my Pace or a springer...no contest.   I use Chip Qwik on small surface mount ICs.  Cleaning the pads is a snap with my Pace.

An all in one has a suction shot, does it recoil?  I don;t know, but I won;t like it if it does.

My springer works well enough, but as it fills inside, it can dribble little bits of solder debris.  Yes, I know I need to open it and clean it now and then, but when my Pace starts to get full, the debris stays inside of it, and it just gets weaker suction.  Les chance it will send a bit of solder under a nearby transistor or something.

I absolutely, positively hate braid.

I think a springer works lots better than braid.  it draws a pulse of air through a plated hole, the braid relies totally on capillary action.  The quick gust of wind helps blow solder out the hole.  When braid works, it works, I wouldn;t argue that.  But just as solder is attracted to the braid, it is also attracted to the surfaces in the plated hole.  The air pulse helps fight that.  So I find there are times that braid doesn;t work as well, and the springer does better.  I don;t find situations that work the other way around.

Plus, while suction is applied, I can drag a component lead around in a circle in its hole so all sides get the chance to free the solder.

I do like my springer, it sits next to me, but if I am doing more than just a few joints, I fire up the station.

galaxiex

Thanks Enzo, I too, dislike the recoil of the plunger type sucker.
Good point too about the need to fit the iron tip and the solder sucker in there.
De-soldering on a tight layout is not fun.

What model Pace do you have?

Enzo

Mine is a basic MBT series station.  I've had it for decades.

phatt

Quote from: joecool85 on September 25, 2014, 08:09:42 AM
Quote from: phatt on September 25, 2014, 05:09:48 AM
For under $10,,  8)
Phil.

I actually have been thinking about getting something like this next time I place an electronics order.  I normally just use wick.  Do you find these to work pretty well in comparison to a simple solder wick?

Hi Joe,
       Yes as already mentioned spring plunger sucker is far more useful than braid though I'm sure braid might work in some particular circumstance.

Obviously if you are working on surface mount chips and like you may need to look at the other options mentioned or if money is no object then go nuts but for the average bloke who just needs the occasional desoldering tool it's hard to beat a $10 sucker.
Or as my wife says,, why would I need a $10 sucker when I've got you. :lmao:

Cleaning is a no brainer as the whole thing unscrews. clean out the bits and a quick spray of WD40 or like and you 're done.
Phil.