Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:32:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Need replacement pots

Started by Mwhitman01, August 20, 2014, 11:32:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mwhitman01

Can anyone identify the manufacturer of these pots? I need to replace them and from looking at the back cant find anything with these specs.

J M Fahey

>>B50K<< means >>Linear 50K<< , a very common, inexpensive and easy to find value.

Only you know pot diameter (probably 16mm or thereabouts) and shaft length and type (flat round / D shaped / striated) which may be important to fit the original knob .

Search around here (or maybe some local Radio Shack):
http://www.mouser.com/Passive-Components/Potentiometers-Trimmers-Rheostats/Potentiometers/_/N-9q0yp?P=1yzmno6Z1yzvm30Z1yzuvtw

Mwhitman01

The only question left is the 1KW. im assuming 1 Kilowatt power handling. I cant find a single pot from Mouser, Allied or Radio Shack that has both specs.
This is from a MosValve MV-962 gain pot and also has multiple detents in its 3/4 turn radius. Thats why its difficult to track down.
Maybe im too worried about the 1KW rating im not sure.

Thanks for your help.

Enzo

No, it does not mean 1 kilowatt.  1000 watts is what a space heater puts out warming your home.  it is a date code on the part. For that thing to put out 1kw, it would have to sit there white hot. Your control will not be subjected to large currents.

Instead of looking for the manufacturer, show us the other end of it.  I agree with Juan, it looks like a common 16mm 50k linear pot.  What makes them unique is how the other end is configured.  The shaft length,the shaft format (D-shaft, knurled, split, whatever), the bushing.

For example if you needed it for a Marshall, there are plenty of people selling the exact part.  And if it is for some off brand, it may STILL be the same as a Marshall pot and there you go.  We can usually tell by looking.  Yours may be.  Pots for other brands may fit instead, Fender uses a lot of 16mm pots for example.

Detents will be tough, very few pots have them.  Detents don't matter electrically, but they add that certain aesthetic.  You may have to do without them.

The problem with finding the manufacturer is that the pots in an amp are almost always custom made to order.  If you get an Alps catalog, it shows lots of information, but what it ultimately makes you do is generate your own part number, which they then make for you.  Each letter and number specifies some aspect of the pot.  A similar but much simpler idea is behind the numbers on reverb pans.

Having no idea what a MosValve MV-962 might be, I looked it up.  It is a Genz Benz product, not part of Fender, so you might contact Fender and ask if they have them and ask what part number to order.  Fender won;t sell you direct, but you would at least know the part to order from a Fender dealer or parts outlet.