Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:39:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

AMPEG VH140C "DRY" SIDE QUESTION?

Started by RandallRG, May 13, 2014, 03:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RandallRG

I have a question concerning the "Dry" side of the Speaker Outputs on my VH140C Solid State Head. At the moment I have my (2) 4x12 Randall 8 Ohm Cabs plugged into both of the "Chorus" Outputs (Both going to the "Input" on both of my Cabs) & all I can say is....It sounds KILLER!  I unplugged both of them from the "Chorus" side & wanted to hear how the "Dry" side sounded. When I plug into either of the (2) "Dry" side Speaker Outputs I am only getting a VERY SMALL AMOUNT OF SOUND (with my Axe on 10 & the Level knob past 5-6? ) I have read in various Forums Etc that the VH140C has had some issues over the years with "Cold or Cracked" Soldered joints Etc in certain areas. I know at the moment I am using only 70 Watts & it is plenty L-O-U-D on 2...It Cranks! Still it would be great to be able to use the FULL 140 & get all of the Power/Sound. Anyway if any of you might have a solution as to why it's doing this I sure would appreciate it! Possibly an issue with the Right side Amp? Thanks! Steve \m/

****PIC OF THE RIGHT SIDE****

DrGonz78

Greetings! Okay if you are suspecting a possible intermittent signal on the amp then run a signal through the amp and whack the top of the amp. Try to trigger the amp to behave differently by giving the top of the amp a good thump with your fist. This approach does not always yield a response or change. So at that point we need to consider the effects loop jacks connections. So there is a signal running through the dry channel and that tells us something positive at least. So now we need to plug a guitar patch cable into the each pre-out to power amp-in connections. Does plugging a cable into the dry effects in/out jacks restore the volume on the dry outputs?
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

RandallRG

Jeremy hey Buddy it's Steve with the Randall RG100ES Heads? Hope ya remember? (It's been awhile since I have been on. I sent you a message the other day?) How you doing? Hope all is well with you & yours. O.K. I will give this a try & get back with you..I made a mistake on my previous post. I can hear some sound coming from the "Dry" Speaker Outputs when the volume is around 1-1/2-2. NOT around 5-6. Just wanted to clarify that. As always Thank Buddy!  :tu:

RandallRG

O.K. Jeremy...I just ran a Patch Cord from the "Dry" Preamp "Output" into the "Dry" Poweramp "Input" like you said to try & now YES I have all of my Power/Sound back coming out of my Cab that's being plugged into one of the "Dry" Speaker Outputs. I then plugged my other Cab into the "Chorus" side (Like I have been wanting to do) & O.M.G. it sounds Incredible! :dbtu: The Chorus on this Amp is Amazing Dude! I didn't realize how good of a Clean Channel this Head also has. All of it's glory being for the UN-GODLY amount of Distortion that it's very well known for! So now # (1)...What was the issue I was having? #(2)...Can I leave the Amp with the Patch cord in it like this & keep using my Amp this way w/o hurting anything? (Man I sure hope so because it sounds Insane! LOL!) Either way please let me know. Thanks again Buddy :cheesy:

DrGonz78

Hey Steve!! I knew it was you and I got your messages the other day too, just been busy. So as far as for question #1, the issue involves switching contacts in the effects loop jacks. Basically, it is probably just a dirty jack that is not making ground very well when no patch cable (jack plug) inserted. Also, the signal side of the jack (tip part) might be dirty too and that would degrade the signal as travels through it to the output section. So clean out the jacks with some contact cleaner, and don't use something that is lubricated. With amp unplugged shoot a bit of contact cleaner into the jack(s) and follow that up by inserting a jack plug in & out. Working the jacks with the cleaner and the plug should clean it up good and then you won't have to leave it patched together with the cable.

Question #2, you can leave the patch cable in there for as long as you want and it won't hurt anything. So, leave it plugged in until you get around to cleaning the jacks.

The cleaning of the jacks should do the job, but report back to us if the it does the job or not. Best regards and hope you been good my friend!! Take care for now.
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

RandallRG

That's Great news Jeremy! It's funny...After what I had read I was hoping that it was something like a "Dirty" jack. Anyway I will keep you posted after I do a good cleaning on them & hopefully it will solve the problem. I still can not believe how great the Chorus sounds on this Amp! The Distortion is so BRUTAL yet the Clean is so "Crisp & Clear". It's One Hell of a Amp for sure. Anything from Killer Death Metal to Super Sounding Chorus! Thanks again Buddy take care & I will be in touch.. :tu: