Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:50:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

behringer GMA 100 miniamp

Started by nikkram17, April 22, 2014, 02:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikkram17

hi guys.. can you tell me if i can mod my behringer GMA 100 mini amp into much louder sound? i want to change its speaker  into a 10" speaker 8 ohms and i want it DC powered.. its a 9V powered miniamp and has a ac adaptor input and head phones i just want it to make it louder and put in a hot cabs cabinet that i scav from my friend.. pls help me figure out how to make this miniamp turn into much bigger amp.. thank you guys..

Roly

Find somebody with a much bigger amp who wants to downsize, and swap.  :lmao:  {sorry}

Seriously; it is what it is, a really tiny amp, and no amount of compressed air or explosive is going to make it any bigger.

There is one trick that works with tiny things like this 'tho, a much bigger speaker.  Apart from the general matter of speaker efficiency, the tiny speaker fitted to a gizmo like this has everything working against it, far too small in a case that is also far too small to work properly.

As you have found, only Behringer would have the audacity to say an amp that runs on 9V and fits in your pocket has "classic guitar sound!".  "Original vintage-design guitar speaker" - I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

Scrounge around and see if you can score a set of powered computers speaker, perhaps from your local thrift/op-shop, as large as possible.  These should work from the headphone socket, but you won't have much joy simply connecting a larger speaker there because the headphone output is usually limited to prevent you blowing your ears out.  You never know your luck, while you are looking you may even come across a real guitar amp at an affordable price (the bigger diameter the speaker, the better.

HTH
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

nikkram17

@roly

thanks for helping.. im just curious if i can put it on a much bigger speaker.,, and im not using this for about 10 yrs,. the reason why i want this to be in a larger speaker so that i can have another amp..

BTW.. im sorry for the PM i sent you lately.. thanks :)

J M Fahey

If you dare, build a guitar powered cabinet.
Any speaker configuration:
1 o2 2  8"
1 or 2  10"
1  12"
Plus some simple chipamp which you can get in a kit, such as
TDA20xx from 5 to 30W
LM3886 for 50/60W
TDA7254 for 60/80W

Then you drive it from your miniamp headphone out.

You can also use it to boost another amp you have.

You will build something functionally similar to:

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/powerengine/powerengine60.html

nikkram17

the 1st pic is the main board.. it has a TDA 2822L chip amp

2nd pic is his power supply thing.. with the guitar input and head phone output

3rd is the stack speaker..

is it possible to (upgrade/ whatever terms used in here) the speaker make it more louder?

or change the headphone out to a line out for a larger speaker just like a Noisy Cricket?

can this be possible??
TIA

Roly

Quote from: nikkram17BTW.. im sorry for the PM i sent you lately.. thanks :)

That's perfectly okay, you now have a reply.

This chip amp has a power output a bit over one watt.

No speaker you can fit in the case will make it any better.  What will improve it would be a large (10 or 12-inch) 4 ohm speaker in a proper cab wired in instead of the internal speaker, but I think JM's suggestions would be a lot more satifying in the end.

There is a saying in English that "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" and I honestly feel that there isn't much you can do with this unit that will make it any better.

I'll guess that you are in Germany, and if so you should have a look at the range of Velleman kits.

nikkram17

thanks guys,.hehe..maybe i should stick on doing the noisy cricket.. so much to know about noisy cricket :) im making a noisy cricket (because it so simple to make) and ill run it 2x12 8 ohms speaker but i dont know the exact wattage for each,and i just want to know if i can use my zoom multieffects (g1nx)? can i do that? does the noisy cricket be functional?

phatt

Quote from: nikkram17 on April 23, 2014, 12:34:11 PM
thanks guys,.
i just want to know if i can use my zoom multieffects (g1nx)? can i do that? does the noisy cricket be functional?

Yes you can use zoom multi effects, just don't expect much clean headroom from such a small Amplifier. :-X
I personally would not bother with that idea,, Mr Fahey gave you the best advice you will ever get.. I'd take it. (Hint) 8)

Most of those preamp units really need a reasonable wattage amp otherwise they fall apart with a boosted preamp.
Even a 10 watt Amp cannot deliver clean signal all that well if boosted by an extra preamp. Of course if all you want is total distortion at low volume then try it.
Phil.

teemuk

QuoteAs you have found, only Behringer would have the audacity to say an amp that runs on 9V and fits in your pocket has "classic guitar sound!"

It's called "advertising".

Behringer is doing the same thing what every other company in the business is doing. Ever looked how companies like Marshall or Vox advertise their products similar to this battery-powered Behringer amp?

"Packing full Marshall tone".... "For those players for whom a full stack is a must"  :lmao:
(Quotes taken from Marshall MS-4 / MS-2 amp advertisement)

"Signature AC30 Top Boost Tone"  :lmao:
(Quote from Vox Amplug AC30 advertisement)

Quote"Original vintage-design guitar speaker"

Reminds me of Fane speakers mysteriously becoming an "improvement" to previous Celestion speakers of AC30. Noooooo.... couldn't possibly have anything to do with the company that owned Vox trademark at the time being also the UK importer of Fane speakers. Que 10 years forward and suddenly the "painstakingly recreated" Celestion speakers are the right speaker choice for the AC30 again....  :lmao:

QuoteThis chip amp has a power output a bit over one watt.

Well, that's amazingly in the same ballpark of output power as certain single-ended, cheaply manufactured, well over $700 costing Marshall amps that are supposed to sound exactly like their 50W - 100W push-pull counterparts.   ::)

That is, if you like to blindly believe in advertising.

nikkram17

thanks a lot guys,.i really appreciate your response,.

@phatt: does it mean tat the other effects of gxn wont sound or no sound? if thats the case is their any project amp that i can make and fully use the preamp of my gxn? i meant a simple,non complex power amp that runs to a 12" speaker standard 8ohms and exact wattage?

pls link me up,. thanks,.

a lot of thanks to teemuk,phat,roly as well as JM,. thanks guys
@teemuk ur book is so nice bt im still confused on some parts and im still learning it,. :)

Roly

I stand corrected.  I've laughed at these toys but never read the blurbs.

Quote from: teemukEver looked how companies like Marshall or Vox advertise their products

Well ... no.  Advertising is something I assiduously try to avoid these days as an ongoing insult to what little intelligence I have retained in my dotage.

I've just tripped over a gushing promotion for a "1000 watt" ghetto blaster that looks like a warp drive and claims it runs for up to four hours on an internal rechargeable battery.  Having worked with genuine 1000 amp-hour battery sets you need a fork lift to move, I'm slightly dubious.  I'd hate to hear the convoluted reasoning that the marketing department used to arrive at "1000 watts".  No doubt the same people who produced the "400 watt" computer speakers I have kicking around somewhere - powered by four AA cells.   :duh