Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:04:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

New (old) Peavey Studio Pro 40

Started by dinosaur54, April 19, 2014, 01:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinosaur54

Hi Folks,

Just picked off a Studio Pro 40.  Good shape, all original.  Pulled it apart and cleaned the pots, cobwebs and sawdust.  Sounds good for an '85 model. 

My question is: What "free" or cheap mods should come next?  I listen to Blues, Country and Classic Rock.  I play a vintage Tele. I am handy with carpenter tools and my buddy is good with a soldering iron.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

nashvillebill

I wouldn't modify it yet, but do some preventive maintenance--replace the electrolytic capacitors...they are 30 years old and living on borrowed time.  This may tighten the bass up and make the amp sound smoother.

Then, play it  a while and decide what you like, and don't like about it.  Then make your decision to modify based on your actual preferences, rather than just some guy's opinion on the Internet.  Maybe a speaker swap would match your sound better...just give the new speaker a chance to break in.

dinosaur54

Good stuff Bill, Thanks!  Speaker sounds strong to me.  Mild low hum relating to pre and post gain pots.

Roly

Quote from: nashvillebill on April 19, 2014, 01:52:24 PM
I wouldn't modify it yet, but do some preventive maintenance--replace the electrolytic capacitors...they are 30 years old and living on borrowed time.  This may tighten the bass up and make the amp sound smoother.

Then, play it  a while and decide what you like, and don't like about it.  Then make your decision to modify based on your actual preferences, rather than just some guy's opinion on the Internet.  Maybe a speaker swap would match your sound better...just give the new speaker a chance to break in.

Good advice.  +1   :dbtu:
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.