Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:00:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Circuit changes for the Pignose 7-100

Started by mark, April 10, 2013, 02:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark

Enzo, you are assuming the TIP41 transistors were working correctly, and I certainly don't think you can make that assumption. The difference in response was not subtle the most noticeable was the difference in distortion, the TIP41's were like a 60's fuzzbox while the TIP41C's were probably like a 50 watt Fender on "5".

Actually I remember the distortion increased in my RAT pedal prior to it blowing and I had to replace the IC.

Getting back to the Pignose, that's just how it happened.

Mark

Enzo

Mark, I was not assuming anything, I was making a joke based upon Roly's post just above mine.  Perhaps you overlooked the soundstaging reference, clearly satirical, since the Pignose is not a stereo amplifier.

But if you want to be serious, then if you replace defective TIP41s with good TIP41s, then sure it will sound better.   The way your post was written made it appear you were attributing the sound improvement to the TIP41C versus TIP41, as opposed to attribtuing it to a good versus bad transistor.

And THAT was what Roly and I were responding to.

mark

Hi Enzo

That is the trouble with pasting on sites such as this one, if people don't know you well enough they will take things the wrong way.

It's not the first time nor will it be the last time.

Getting back to the thread I wasn't implying a mojo with the TIP41C transistors, in the past the transistor was either dead or alive, in this case it wasn't feeling well. It's all very tube like. :duh

Mark