Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:47:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Hybrid Amp Modification

Started by ildar, August 05, 2006, 08:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ildar

I'm new here, though I recognize some familiar IDs from Aron's site. I've been asking moronic questions over there for afew years, now I'll do the same here!  ;D
I just acquired an old Peavey Classic hybrid-ss front, tube power...love the power section. I want to mod the front end, and just want to know if the normal tube amp precautions apply, even if I won't be messing with the power section at all.

joecool85

Yeah, you'll want to drain all the power caps.  Even if the SS section uses a different power section, its still safer to drain all power caps in there.

On a side note, SS preamp and tube power section??  I'd only heard of the other way around.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

ildar

Quote from: joecool85 on August 05, 2006, 10:02:25 PM

On a side note, SS preamp and tube power section??  I'd only heard of the other way around.

Yeah, Peavey made a slew of 'em late 70's, early 80's.

steve_m

Quote from: joecool85 on August 05, 2006, 10:02:25 PM
Yeah, you'll want to drain all the power caps.  Even if the SS section uses a different power section, its still safer to drain all power caps in there.

I had a Marshall 3203 "Artist" head that had an SS preamp and a tube power amp. Two EL34s and a 12AX7 phase inverter. Sounded pretty good at low volumes.  The 4203 was the combo version. These were made in the mid to late 80s. Cool amps.

steve

ildar

I tell ya, I'd like to add a phase inverter tube to my Peavey.
As it stands, it's not a bad amp, I use it for clean sounds in a dual-amp rig. I don't really love the preamp section, though. Not that it's SS, because I'm fond of SS for certain things. I'm thinking of replacing the whole preamp section, maybe with one of the ROG Fender-type sims. How feasible is that?