Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:07:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Booster pedal for peavey 260?

Started by Flypaper4Morons, October 11, 2010, 04:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flypaper4Morons

on my 260 i see it has 6 inputs 2 for clean channel 2 for distortion channel. It also has a booster input and another input near the power on light. What are these for and why doesnt a FS5U pedal switchthe channels from clean to the distortion channel.

someone at Guitar Center suggested bridging both channels with balanced speaker cable (running the #1 input from the clean side to the #1 input on the dirty side). what will this do? The booster input doesnt do anything when I runa FS5U to it and neither does the other input. is ther a special footswitch peavey made for this head? Its dam near older than me... :lmao:

Enzo

A PV 260 WHAT?   They made a lot of things with 260 on them.   Until I know that, I can't comment on what all the jacks should do.

Those BOOSTER jacks are outputs, not inputs, they are a line level output to feed the signal to some other "booster" amp.  In other words, if your 260 was not loud enough, you'd add another amp and speaker to "boost" your level.

Enzo

AH, you have another thread about a PV Standard, so I will assume that is the amp.

The booster I explained.  The other jacks is probably the footswitch jack, the tip switches reverb off and on and the ring switches the distortion off and on.

Flypaper4Morons

Enzo its a 260 A as far as i can tell. I would like to be able to switch from clean to distortion via footpedal. Im runnig my effects thruthe clean channel now on the 2 input so its no earsplitting loud. i do like the classic rock crunchy overdrive the distortion channel makes. so swtichin back and forth is the desired goal. ab  pedal would work but id rather do it with a footswitch if pevey made one... ill google it but in the meantime, thanks for your help. ill post my findings.

bry melvin

I'm a bit confused on the Peavey you actually have.

The guitar amps Peavey made in hat era usually have a DIN jack that is used to select/combine channels. How about posting a pic of the front of that amp?

Enzo

260 is not the model name, it is a Peavey "Standard" 260 series.  They came in the A version, the A with distortion version, and the B version.   I believe he has the Peavey Standard 260 series A with distortion version.

The footswitch is a simple two button TRS as far as I know, the ring switches the distortion on or off.

Here, I think it will fit in this post.

J M Fahey

To add to the confusion, I remember repairing old Peaveys, long ago (late 70's), where the "260 " was a back panel, with full Power Amp + PSU, with some Molex connectors, nominally providing 130W (closer to 100W really), which could be swapped in block instead of repairing it.
Argentine Musicians building Peaveys in Miami were offered 260 backpanels for a nominal fee, say around U$S 50, so in case of trouble they could swap it in minutes.
The regular Guarantee was useless 8000 miles away.
When those "260" burnt, were brought to me for repair.
There was also a "400" module, which provided around 200W into 2 ohms.
Fact is, "any" 130W Peavey from that era had a "260" silkscreened, whether it was for Guitar, Bass, PA or Keyboard, in many models each.
That's why we ask you more for clarification, or better yet, pictures.
It happens to me too, I have thousands of amplifiers spread all over the Country, and I always get calls or mails saying "I have a Fahey 4409 to repair", with no further explanation.
Fact is, 4409 refers to a very popular Bass Preamplifier, which regularly  comes mated to a 100 W power amp, but which has been also mated to amplifiers from 60 to 300W, plus some custom built 600W ones, plus rack preamps driving beasts such as QSC900 or AB1500 driving 2 or 4 Ampeg 8x10" "fridges", so you see that the model number alone, helps but sometimes is not enough.

Flypaper4Morons

Its an A 260 standard as far as i can tell. I know the standard series had many versions mostly pa style. I am going to look for a pickture and see if i can post it or the link to it.

http://www.govdeals.com/photos/2387/2387_169_1.jpg

unfortunately im having a hard time finding pics of this online but finally found one. Mine is exactly like this minus the cab.
When I post pics of my cab project ill take some good ones and post them then. My Rig is at my drummers house right now.

Enzo

There you go, says "Standard" on the front.

Flypaper4Morons

Yes it does, the input/ouput for the booster and footswitchjacks are 1/4 not din connectors so i guess i can use a 2 button footswitch for this for the effects. The booster output as Enzo explained I will leave alone, i cant imagine needing this beast any louder...lol. thank you sovery much for your help and time.

cheers, :tu:

Enzo

Well, it is not necessarily only for louder.  It is a line out taken from the output bus.  It could be used for a direct line to the PA or a recording console or even to some external processing.   Having said that, I don;t know anyone who ever used that jack, myself.