Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:23:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

AS112A and AX84 1x12 cabinet build issues speaker protection

Started by Zappacat, January 27, 2010, 12:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joecool85

Quote from: phatt on August 17, 2010, 09:32:01 AM
Notice the use of the Word *TONE* to describe a simple metal recess ring.
Then also notice the Word *MOJO* to better describe it's scientificly proven quality.

Excuse me while I step out and throw up. :-*
Phil.

Nevermind the fact they want over $80 for it and it's just a steel ring!
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

bry melvin

disregarding all the mojo hype....the hype artists didn't invent the tone ring...Fender did sort of...It was used in some early Fenders

Showman anyway  not sure which ones used it. Hype didn't cause the name "tone ring" AFAIK the name was "borrowed" from a similiar item which is an essential part of resonators and banjos. Not 100% sure I was a kid then. First one I saw was at Newport around 62...was a child accordian prodigy then not a guitarist..j :lmao:

Clarify: in a resonator the "tone ring" sits under the cone and focuses/brightens/tightens the sound...cheap unamplified resonators without one sound dead...I assume fender was trying to brighten the sound of the amp with it.

teemuk

At least in the old Fender's the "tone ring" was a reflex structure, with the port surrounding the speaker and the duct located in between the two front baffles.