Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:38:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Lab Series L9

Started by fretmess, August 15, 2009, 10:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fretmess

New to the forum I am and the proud owner of Gibson Lab Series L9.  It still has the original 15" E-V.  Darn clean.  I got lucky at a pawn shop on the very day that Les Paul died.  Plugged in my Double 8 non pedal console steel and wow.

Brymus

Congrats  :tu:
I have never seen one but with the 15"EV spkr sounds like you got a good deal.
You should post some pics-gut shots and what you "stole" it for.
Maybe a sound clip ot two as well.
Congratulations on your new addition.

JG

I hear nothing but good things about Lab series amps and I love EV speakers and 15's. That has to be a killer amp. What did you get it for?

fretmess

$300.00 at local pawn shop.  I don't usually go prowling in pawn shops but I was really looking for a SS amp for my double neck non pedal steel.  Really looking for loud and clean.  The L9 was at the first shop I stopped at on Thursday of last week.  I came back to that pawn shop  later that day, after visiting others, and played through it.  Pretty clean amp and the compressor works. Did I mention LOUD.  As I was drivng away from the shop I hear on the radio that Les Paul died and I figured it had to be some kind of omen so I went back yesterday and bought it.  I figure I paid about $50.00 too much but what the hell it's only money.

va3ux

Perhaps $300 isn't a "steal" for one of these, but these amps are few and far between these days. It's not like you can pass it up with the idea of just going down the street to buy one cheaper somewhere else.  I have an L9 that is in rough cosmetic condition and I probably paid too much for it based on it's condition.  But it works, it's a unique amp and they're hard to find so I didn't mind.

J M Fahey

Good decision. Cosmetics are "nice to have" if possible, but *sound* is what it`s all about.
And you are right in saying: "if you want it and find one, just grab it"
They`re just not overflowing warehouses these days. Good buy.