Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 08:15:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Newbie question re: TA7200 P

Started by guitaradelic, July 29, 2009, 11:35:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitaradelic

Hello everyone, been here lurking for sometime.  Longtime musician, short time amp  builder.  My question, I have an old Roland Cube 20 (the old orange one), it uses a TA7200P to drive the reverb.  I had it in the shop and the tech could only find one source for the chip and their minimum order was $100.  Does anyone know of a source or a substitute chip for the TA7200P.   This is a little frustrating as I google the chip number and inquired at three or four places with only one response saying it was not in stock.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Jim

joecool85

Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

J M Fahey

Hi guitaradelic.
In case you don´t absolutely get it by any means, I can explain you how to replace it with a TDA2006 or 2030 + 2 resistors.
That´s what *I*´d do when needing such an obsolete IC ; the same way as I replace TDA1514 in Valvestate 40 with LM3886.
Good luck.

guitaradelic

Thanks for the link JoeCool, I was going to try to stay stateside (worried about shipping).  J M, I just might take you up on your advice for a substitution if I can't find a direct replacement. What ticks me off is the places I contacted that don't bother to reply.  Thanks for help folks!

joecool85

Quote from: guitaradelic on July 29, 2009, 01:07:44 PM
Thanks for the link JoeCool, I was going to try to stay stateside (worried about shipping).  J M, I just might take you up on your advice for a substitution if I can't find a direct replacement. What ticks me off is the places I contacted that don't bother to reply.  Thanks for help folks!

I was hoping to find something stateside, but thats all I could come up with.  The two biggest places I normally check with (partsexpress.com and mouser.com) didn't have it - or I couldn't find it anyway.
thatraymond.com

guitaradelic

Quote from: joecool85 on July 29, 2009, 04:11:53 PM

I was hoping to find something stateside, but thats all I could come up with.  The two biggest places I normally check with (partsexpress.com and mouser.com) didn't have it - or I couldn't find it anyway.

I contacted three places today, one said they had a $250 minimum order, the second said not in stock and the third has not responded.  Just for kicks I think I'll contact Roland and see what they suggest. Should be interesting from a customer service standpoint...

joecool85

Quote from: guitaradelic on July 30, 2009, 08:36:01 AM
Quote from: joecool85 on July 29, 2009, 04:11:53 PM

I contacted three places today, one said they had a $250 minimum order, the second said not in stock and the third has not responded.  Just for kicks I think I'll contact Roland and see what they suggest. Should be interesting from a customer service standpoint...

At this point I would seriously consider J M Fahey's solution of replacing it with a more current chip.
thatraymond.com

Brymus

It would be nice to see if and how he solved the problem.
I think JM s idea about using a different chip is best and cheapest solution too.

Enzo

B&D Enterprises says they have the TA7200 in stock for $5.95.  Says it is a Toshiba.

I have always had success buying parts from them, the Sanken power semis I have ordered have always been real, no fakes.

www.bdent.com

Whenever looking for a part, often just googling the part number yields interesting results.  In this case the B&D source, as well as a discussion of subbing the thing., and data sheets.

J M Fahey

Hi Guitaradelic. If you can get it for U$S6 + postage, go for it.
Buy it at once, often obsolete/scarce/obscure parts "dry up" and dissappear.
Good luck.

Enzo

For anyone finding this on a search, TA7200 are selling on ebay now at $15, and I have seven of them myself to sell.

J M Fahey

Hi guitardelic, if Enzo has one, just buy it from him, as a long time Official Service shop he always had the real one.
I can trust him 100%, unlike EBay sellers or established resellers who got them as dead factories or shop surplus, you never know what you get.

And it will fit straight in the same PCB holes, no modding at all, not needing a new tiny PCB to hold the extra parts needed.